Levy for Domestic Helpers

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And please don't tell me you are going to use this as an excuse for getting out of paying their long service payment.

OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzee:
    We are going to terminate our 2 existing contracts and renew them in order to enjoy the $0 Levy for the next 2 years (keeping the same Helpers of course!). When we explained this to both our Helpers, they thought that we were going to pass on our savings to them! (They had obviously heard and read about all this levy cancellation news). And when we explained that it was for the Employers benefit to combat inflation etc, they acted upset and surprised that we were not automatically passing on the levy money to them!

We struggle to make ends meet here and this is a huge saving for us. We have to put 3 little kids in school and this tax break is a huge relief for us.

Did anybody elses Helper expect the money to go to them?

Just wanted to see how many Employers will be actually passing the levy saving onto their Helper.

You're talking about $400. You can't be serious. If my boss tried to stiff me, I'd be pissed too.

They don't have the luxury of coming and going as they please - YOU DO.
    It's not their choice that you employ two helpers and so need to screw them in order to 'make ends meet' - HAVE YOU ASKED THEM HOW THEY MAKE ENDS MEET.
    I'm assuming they also share the room they sleep in - NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE.

You really need to sit down and think long and hard about how you would feel if you were a domestic helper with very little choices. You also seem a little 'shocked' that they have heard and read the news about the levy. Do you not expect helpers to be able to know about issues that relate to them?

I'm very shocked and saddened that this is even an issue for SOME people that hire helpers.
    Last edited by saphireruby; 02-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Back when the levy was introduced, it was a charge on owners for hiring foreign workers. It was just a matter of coincidence [according to the Govt] that a reduction in the minimum pay was also the exact same amount and at the exact same time.
    So we have a levy for the employer and a paycut for the helper.
    Recently the pay has been upped by $100 for new contracts, and there has been a suspension of the levy.
    Now unless the helper was being asked to bear the levy ie take a cut in her pay [of $400 in 2003] AND another cut for the levy, I don't see why the present windfall should be passed on.

I may be paying my helper $15,000 but the minute the $100 increase would I not raise my helper's pay by a similar amount?

If the helpers were getting a cut they would be the first to ask their bosses to terminate their contracts.
    Instead we had pressure put on the government to act to counter the terminations.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Back when the levy was introduced, it was a charge on owners for hiring foreign workers. It was just a matter of coincidence [according to the Govt] that a reduction in the minimum pay was also the exact same amount and at the exact same time.
    So we have a levy for the employer and a paycut for the helper.
    Recently the pay has been upped by $100 for new contracts, and there has been a suspension of the levy.
    Now unless the helper was being asked to bear the levy ie take a cut in her pay [of $400 in 2003] AND another cut for the levy, I don't see why the present windfall should be passed on.

I may be paying my helper $15,000 but the minute the $100 increase would I not raise my helper's pay by a similar amount?

If the helpers were getting a cut they would be the first to ask their bosses to terminate their contracts.
    Instead we had pressure put on the government to act to counter the terminations.

Not sure I understand your point really. The helpers are still worse off by 300 and the employer will be level. In that case it seems only fair to give at least 150 to the helper - that is if you insist on paying the minimum wage in the first place.

Huxeille, The gov't has gradually increased the min wage since they cut it in 2003. It's now up $300 and helpers are only short $100. It doesn't make a difference, most Expat employers are paying more than min wage.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Huxeille, The gov't has gradually increased the min wage since they cut it in 2003. It's now up $300 and helpers are only short $100. It doesn't make a difference, most Expat employers are paying more than min wage.
    OK accept your figures. But then of course you have to factor in inflation, in which case they are considerably down.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not sure I understand your point really. The helpers are still worse off by 300 and the employer will be level. In that case it seems only fair to give at least 150 to the helper - that is if you insist on paying the minimum wage in the first place.
    the point being that you are mixing up helper salary with 'misc expenses ' in getting the helper from there to here-suppose these costs say $20,000 for a two year contract went down, by half, why should that affect the workers salary.
    -
    If that does not clarify my point then take this example
    you have two offices one in Central, and one in Chaiwan- if you moved staff to Chaiwan would you give them a payrise as the rents are cheaper there?

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    the point being that you are mixing up helper salary with 'misc expenses ' in getting the helper from there to here-suppose these costs say $20,000 for a two year contract went down, by half, why should that affect the workers salary.
    -
    If that does not clarify my point then take this example
    you have two offices one in Central, and one in Chaiwan- if you moved staff to Chaiwan would you give them a payrise as the rents are cheaper there?
    The reduction in salary and the imposition of the levy were clearly linked and though the minimum pay has gone up 300 since then this is just inflation linking the lower salary. So using your analogy - you moved office from Chai Wan to Central and cut the salary to cover costs. Surely then moving back to Chai Wan the salary cut should be given back to the workers?

I, like many on this thread make no bones about finding the OP's post outrageous. I really pity the helpers that work for them. What the helpers should do is let the OP fire them, pay them one month (which they are obliged to do) send them home pretending that they will resign with them when actually they have already found a new employer that will not be such an ingrate.

I'm guessing that these poor helpers are also only paid minimum wage, which is an absolute laugh especially when looking after 3 kids, and as someone else mentioned, probably have to share a tiny box of a room to boot. I'd hate to think how the kids treat the helpers if the parents show such disrespect.

If you can't afford to pay 2 helpers a reasonable wage and you have no intention of looking after your kids yourself perhaps it would have been wise to stick to two kids.

At least she has 2 helpers for 3 kids. I've seen 1 helper with 3 kids and both parents working.