T8 - Discuss

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

By 'people' making their own decisions, you mean 'employers' right? Because that's how it'd pan out if it the government didn't otherwise mandate it. And of course, we can always count on HK employers having the safety of their employees at heart.

I'm the only one in the office here in Central. I walked over during a quiet spell, but looking outside at the current buffeting winds and rain, I think it's completely reasonable that employers be told to keep their staff from going in to the office. People who *do* want to come into work, will.

As an aside, I spent last night hiking in the T3 over the Dragons Back. That was pretty exciting- I did get knocked over a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And yet the airport is functioning perfectly normally - no more delays or cancellations than normal. If you can land a 747 then I can't see how the weather is bad enough to stop anything. The wind is gale force in some areas gusting to storm force over high ground. That's routine weather for many areas of the world next to the sea.

It's really time that Hong Kong lost this "nanny state" attitude and let people make their own judgements. It makes the place a laughing stock.
    all very true...but - people work hard enough in this city, so what the hell, it's a quirk of HK that I put in the positive column - how ever ridiculous it maybe

It's really time that Hong Kong lost this "nanny state" attitude and let people make their own judgements. It makes the place a laughing stock.
    That won't happen as long as people are raised by their nannies and taught to be scared of everything.

And yet the airport is functioning perfectly normally - no more delays or cancellations than normal. If you can land a 747 then I can't see how the weather is bad enough to stop anything. The wind is gale force in some areas gusting to storm force over high ground. That's routine weather for many areas of the world next to the sea.

I'm in Tsuen Wan opposite an airport strip and i'm quite surprised they would still fly in this weather. Visibility is nill, winds are quite strong. Not to much rain though.

I'd seem more logical to me to cancell the airport then to cancel a HK working day.

edit : got the answer
    Last edited by FilipH; 06-08-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Storm signal 8.

No-one is stopping you from going out if you feel the warnings are not warranted, like anything in life warnings are there to be followed or ignored. If you feel you feel that you know better then do your own thing. Personally, looking out of my window in Happy Valley, I'm really not sure I'd want to be out there.

I like the fact that the govt "looks after" us this way. The place is wealthy enough for there to be days when due to adverse conditions, they don't insist on you having to go to work and busting your gut.

Take a chill pill and enjoy being at home.

2venus

I'm in Shau Kei Wan. The wind and rain come and go... This T8 is lame!

Yes, my manager said if T8 is hoisted I don't have to go to work. However, when it's lowered to T5/T3 (whatever it is) I have to be at work within 2 hours.

I am in Sai Ying Pun and the wind is hitting us hard. My husband was woken up this morning by the NYC office to ask if they needed to take over HK shift. Being as this is our first time with mother nature, he went around asking what was the usual procedure. Anyway he agreed that everybody should stay at home but he got up and went into work at around 6am, just before the rain started. He wanted to make sure that no orders went wrong but what pisses me off is that he was joking about being blown off. Anyway I hope it won't last till the whole day, if not how is he getting home... My poor dear

Ok, so bars are likely open... what about regular restaurants (don't have much in the fridge and several hungry kids)? and shopping? can we finish our furniture/ housewares shopping?

TST

We are at TST, Kowloon, near the Star Ferry Pier and this is our first T8.

The wind is really gusting and we have hail stones.
    My hubby who is a photographer was the only one out except for the daft TV camera crews and the poor woman in a suit doing her "to camera" piece.

I opened up the thread this morning and see that KIA has changed the title.

I should point out to EVERYONE that we don't have a T8 going on.
    The actual warning in force is NO. 8 SOUTH-EAST GALE OR STORM FORCE SIGNAL. So - for those of you thinking that today is wimpy I should point out that Severe Tropical Storm Kammuri ( NOT YET a Typhoon ) centre is some 120 km away.

Don't wish for a T8. Its not something you want to experience..

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast