Like Tree22Likes

WTF to do with the kids over the summer - 2014 Edition

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Another one. I have a friend with similarly aged kids and they love geocaching. When my daughter is older we might try it out.
    While I think Geocaching is an ideal family activity, the last few years CDNIS was offering it as a summer 1 week course for kids.

Alas, I just looked and its not on offer this year

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    a lot of these activities can only be done if the weather is ok

summer here sometimes have a lot of rainy days, thus, options are limited what to do with the kids

then I would get them a ps3 and a 320/500gb hdd and subscribe to playstation plus (kinda like long term rental of downloads), 3-5 ps3 different games each month, no limit how many times you download for only HK$38 per month/ HK$98 for 3 months/ HK$268 for a year
    I'd give them an umbrella before I gave them an electronic device!

There is almost nothing you can't do outside in the rain in summer; except during black rainstorms or typhoons, which are not that common.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'd give them an umbrella before I gave them an electronic device!

There is almost nothing you can't do outside in the rain in summer; except during black rainstorms or typhoons, which are not that common.
    Our summer in France is going to be 'unplugged'. Ipads, smart phones, laptops are being left in HK for 7 weeks. Summer the way it should be, with the great outdoors and imagination.
    HK_Katherine and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Our summer in France is going to be 'unplugged'. Ipads, smart phones, laptops are being left in HK for 7 weeks. Summer the way it should be, with the great outdoors and imagination.
    As great as this sounds, prepare for a backlash! I remember when I was a kid we went to stay in a static caravan during the Olympics. My aunt tried to enforce a no TV rule.

Of all the people, it was my Gran who fought valiantly for our right to watch the Olympics! She was our saviour, and how we rejoiced! (Poor auntie)

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    As great as this sounds, prepare for a backlash! I remember when I was a kid we went to stay in a static caravan during the Olympics. My aunt tried to enforce a no TV rule.

Of all the people, it was my Gran who fought valiantly for our right to watch the Olympics! She was our saviour, and how we rejoiced! (Poor auntie)
    Bring it on. I spent last summer telling her to get off the damned ipad / computer / smart phone. 4.5 hectares of woods, fields, lake, a brand new trampoline, a bike, village fetes, tree houses, tree swings, new friends, swimming and youtube minecraft videos are more interesting.

The weaning commenced a couple of weeks ago, so it won't be total cold turkey. If she still insists on sulking, then so be it.

Funny thing is she never watches TV, so that's still available - although in French
    justjoe86 and Skyhook like this.

Am I the only person reading this thread thinking "hey I'd like to try that"... while not having kids!

You can rent him for $100 a day! $75, $50???? Anyone ? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion:
    You can rent him for $100 a day! $75, $50???? Anyone ? Bueller?
    Um.. it was the activities I was liking, not the kids! You can keep the kids. I may even pay you to vacate the area while I enjoy kids activities without any kids around!

Has anyone mentioned Lazer shooting games or paintball? There are a couple of paintball places out in the NT - one in the Gold Coast and one in Yuen Long near the Tai Tong jockey club....

Kam Tin Country Club is a nice place to take the kids
    Last edited by justjoe86; 11-06-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Has anyone mentioned Lazer shooting games or paintball? There are a couple of paintball places out in the NT - one in the Gold Coast and one in Yuen Long near the Tai Tong jockey club....
    Also indoor paintball/wargames - seems to be popular with the teenager set.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Also indoor paintball/wargames - seems to be popular with the teenager set.
    yes the laser thing is indoor. I cannot remember the proper name! I have seen it in HK before.

the paintball I have played in HK ... not too many kids there, but definitely some.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast