Chung King Mansion and HK Police Incompetence!!!

Closed Thread

Angry Chung King Mansion and HK Police Incompetence!!!

Does anyone have any idea what happened at Chung King Mansion on the morning of 8th August?

I live by the Sheraton (Middle Road) and was heading home just after 3am, but the police had blocked off all roads crossing paths with the infamous Chung King Mansion!! To the extent that the closest way for me to bypass it was to either walk back down Salisbury Road and past New World Hotel to finally get home, or to take a taxi 15 metres down the road!!!! Quite obviously the taxi was the smarter option...but the police has blocked off Nathan Road as well so no taxi driver wanted to stop!!! I spent almost 20 minutes on a journey that should have taken no more than 30 seconds!!!

I know this is a rant but am frustrated at the police for blocking off such a large area and refusing to give any information whatsoever to as what the matter is!!! You just cannot cordon off a well sized area of Tsim Sha Tsui and not even give an explanation for it!!! Does anyone have any possible clue what happened???

Olympic security alert? If it was a bomb you would have wanted a big cordon! Get a newspaper - they might say. There was nothing on the English RTHK this morning.

Naa I didn't hear any news till a while ago either:

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

Do read...quite a laugh actually!

Quote Originally Posted by suraj.sj:
    Naa I didn't hear any news till a while ago either:

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

Do read...quite a laugh actually!
    Well the guy had illegal weapons on him so only natural they'd search his place, Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If they ignored it and it was explosives and it went off destroying half a block killing dozens of people then no doubt you'd be calling them incompetent.

Yep - tend to agree - err on the side of caution right now I think. I just hope the world goes back to "normal", whatever that is these day, after the Olympics.

There is a high visibility and checking of " aliens " going on.
    Was in Tai Po this morning, lots of police and " non HK " types being checked. Saw 4 separate incidence of people being taken away and 20 or so checking.

Personally I would advise, during Olympic time, having your ID card very close at hand ( as is required by the law ). Don't wear a rucksack. Do not have a shopping cart with a big, filled " Chinese suitcase ". Definitely do not look heavily tanned with a weather beaten face ( but its OK if you are 70yrs old or greater ) . Don't be of Pakistan, Indian or West African Origin. If your Filipino then its probably going to be just another day in paradise as being ID'd and dragged off in the police " taxi " is just normal.

The above is based on my observations today so don't get frisky with me and call me racist !!

I would much sooner call you racist than get frisky with you!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Don't be of Pakistan, Indian or West African Origin. If your Filipino then its probably going to be just another day in paradise as being ID'd and dragged off in the police " taxi " is just normal.

The above is based on my observations today so don't get frisky with me and call me racist !!
    I wonder if my dreadlocks and lungi will set off any alarms this evening?

suraj.sj don't wander too far as its my turn to liven this up tonight at CK Mansions

What if you're Indian, speak Chinese and wearing the latest in law enforcement gear? :P

Smile

Hahha. Well the thread has helped ease the frustration and even add some humour to it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Yep - tend to agree - err on the side of caution right now I think. I just hope the world goes back to "normal", whatever that is these day, after the Olympics.

Sigh...yes at first I was thinking they're overdoing it a bit with the security..then I watched the opening ceremony tonight. WOW! Perhaps there IS good reason to be very tight with security - I wouldn't want the slightest thing going wrong if I were overseeing the events.

I take my previous night's complaints and insults back, all hail HK's finest!!!