Like Tree97Likes

Expecting your kids to financially support you: an Asian Thing

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I just think it is a shame, kimwy, that your experiences have led you to such a negative and sour impression that you've extended to generalise about a whole nationality.

Personally (and fortunately) my experience has been very different, and that includes Chinese friends and even strangers, not just family. The main exception to this rule would be the upper middle class in HK or other big cities, who have been spoilt by money and indeed worship money. I guess this is why many expats see a negative side so predominantly, especially if they live in the more wealthy areas of HK.

Hopefully you won't instantly judge new people you meet with these assumptions, or it is likely your negative experience will continue.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 22-06-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I just think it is a shame, kimwy, that your experiences have led you to such a negative and sour impression that you've extended to generalise about a whole nationality.
    To be fair, its not just her - its a big part of human nature and happens to be very common

I'm sure the following wont surprise you and I expect you've heard them many times in the past and will continue to do so in the future:
    - mulims are xxxxx, hate them all
    - jews do yyyyyy, cant stand them
    - indians are zzzzz, why do they come here
    - mainlanders can be so xxxxx, they should stay at home
    - gypsies always zzzzz
    etc etc etc
    Race, religion, looks, nationality ; they all give rise to stereotypes and many times the -ves drown out the +ves

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    To be fair, its not just her - its a big part of human nature and happens to be very common

I'm sure the following wont surprise you and I expect you've heard them many times in the past and will continue to do so in the future:
    - gypsies always zzzzz
    etc etc etc
    Race, religion, looks, nationality ; they all give rise to stereotypes and many times the -ves drown out the +ves
    For me race doesn't come into it.
    I just hate the following traits in people unfortunately some races are infamous for it.

Cheap people.
    Thieving scum.
    Lack of manners

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    For me race doesn't come into it.
    I just hate the following traits in people unfortunately some races are infamous for it.

Cheap people.
    Thieving scum.
    Lack of manners
    No need to be so harsh on the poor Glaswegians!

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Cwbguy likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    She bought her flat. Now looking to sell it and move to China.

Re the government housing situation, I think the system is stupid. Why do the govt allow people to remain when they have money? IMO there should be yearly income checks, not just one at the start.

There'll always be people who take the maximum of their legal entitlement, of all nationalities and races.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    While every situation is different, generally speaking most people can retire on the lifestyle they are accustomed to living if they plan accordingly and start saving early. Start young and save 10% of every paycheck and you will be fine. Some people will say that they simple can't save that much, to which I say BS!! Everyone can get by making 10% less then what they make now..might not be easy, but it is possible. Pay yourself first.

You don't have to wealthy or a high earner to save for retirement..but you do have to be disiplined.

Except many locals will save way way more then 10 percent but then spend everybit of it to finance their kids study a.d deposit for a flat for their kids too While the avergae american family will let thei kids take a massive loan to finance their studies.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Of course it goes without saying that you help family in times of crisis, altruism is pretty much a western trait it seems. But, as you say, what is wrong is the expectation.

Ask most young New Zealanders about whether they are wealthy when they travel the world. So many of them do it with little money, it is an accepted practice, called 'the big OE' (Overseas Experience).

I did it, had no money except the airfare and a couple of hundred dollars, all saved from working 2 jobs while at university. I landed in Melbourne, had a blast worked menial jobs, and backpacked around the country and onward.

My parents gave me nothing for the trip, they weren't wealthy. Although they always helped out where they could, no strings attached.

But they planned for their future, and now at 80 are still financially secure, with health insurance to keep them physically going, and still make overseas trips.
    Indeed ur parents gave u nothing and as such u give them nothing back (financially i.mean) Fair enough.

What u don't get is many locals here gave every bit of what they have to their kids (finance expensive studies...downpayment on flat...) In retun the said kids help them when tbey get old.

.Not sure where is the isaue tbh.

This talk of altruism in the west seems to exclude those pesky French air traffic controllers who are striking again

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

- gypsies always zzzzz
    etc etc etc
    I think it's not fair to define a group by one of their more common behaviours but it is useful to be aware of reality sometimes. Take gypsies, for example, they are people with hopes and dreams, they are parents...some are good and some are bad. But, my advice to you...if you run a pub in England don't let gypsies drink in it, not even one pint. Always refuse them service. The police will even support you because they would prefer you to refuse to serve one than clear up the mess at the end of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Re the government housing situation, I think the system is stupid. Why do the govt allow people to remain when they have money? IMO there should be yearly income checks, not just one at the start.
    The government does check every two years and all registered tenants need to report their income and assets. Depends on how much the total household income over the limit, the rent will be increased by 50% or 100%. But once they honestly declare the income and paying what they need to pay, the government cannot ask them to return the flat no matter how much money they have.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast