Like Tree27Likes

homemade food for delivery/pickup?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OP, you mention you don't want msg. If you hire a local to do the cooking, I recommend you specify this. Many local housewives either add msg diectly, or use certain brands of 'chicken powder' which is full of it.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Fiona in HKG likes this.

"Mo mei jing mm goi" should do it.

justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    OP, you mention you don't want msg. If you hire a local to do the cooking, I recommend you specify this. Many local housewives either add msg diectly, or use certain brands of 'chicken powder' which is full of it.

Good advice JJ!

I had Singapore Noodles recently at a popular 'international' restaurant and within 20 minutes I was sounding like Jamie Oliver! I have a sensitivity to MSG but that one was quite extreme, my tongue was actually swelling up....and I'd eaten that dish there before and not had that happen, so obviously there is 'flavour enhancing' being done big time with that dish now!

This thread inspired me to go and make a big pot of vegetable soup, with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, chickpeas, ginger and whole cloves of garlic. No MSG, and only the amount of salt and oil that I like. It took me all of 20 minutes, and I'll have the other half tomorrow.

justjoe86 and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    "Mo mei jing mm goi" should do it.
    Be careful with the tones though since Jing also means semen

No MSG or semen in my noodles please siu jeh!

justjoe86 likes this.

Joe's heard "Mo mei jing mm goi" lots and lots of times before

gunsnroses and justjoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zerorigin:
    guys thanks for all the responses!
    As for the helper thing, yea I really got asked that a lot. But I simply don't want an extra person at home, no? I know getting domestic helper is quite a norm in HK for families but I am just not thrilled by the concept.
    Good for you old stager. Far too many people flopping over for the easy slave option.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Joe's heard "Mo mei jing mm goi" lots and lots of times before
    Hahahhaha.......

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The risks of asking an innocent question on Geo, if the Geo usuals don't like that question, well, you are fcuked.

OP, I know you are looking for ready meals. I have tried Something Fresh a few times. They are however one of those provide ingredients and ask you to cook kind of options. They now do offer delivery lunches (although not sure if that helps).

Anyway, maybe worth looking into?

http://www.somethingfresh.com.hk/

I have previously looked into this option in the past, but without much luck (but in my case I gave up quite easily).

The dhaba option that shri posted is very tempting, wish they would open in Central.

Thanks for the word of advice pin!
    Since this is an open forum, I've expected the kind of likes/dislikes from people. And that's exactly why an open forum is powerful, maybe I was being dumb asking dumb questions that I didn't even know about it, or maybe I'm asking something that most people haven't even thought of and we can all learn from each other. It's all about hearing different opinions.

Anyhow, yea I'm really looking for ready-made cooked food. Call me lazy, 15/20 minutes of cooking time plus another 15 minutes of cleanup doing/dishes and such is not preferable to me, not saying it's improbable, just if there are other options, I would rather not spend 30 minutes outa the 3 hours or so I have resting after work being the overhead of the meal.

And surely there are tons of restaurants out there offering organic/healthy options using premium ingredients. As such, with my limited exposure, I've found them in pretty steep prices. So I also welcome the don't-break-the-bank restaurant suggestions.

So, I've posted on some more "local" forums and I've found a local lady living around my neighborhood who's doing that for a couple of other people as well. She's just a stay home mom cooking regular meals for her own family and would just make extra portion that I can pick up after work for a small price.

Really appreciate and thanks for all the advices though. I'll probably try the lady's food and circle back to the suggested options if that doesn't cut it.