Like Tree32Likes

Happy 4th of July!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

How come Americans can get the date right with "Fourth of July" but get it wrong the rest of the year?

Stoob and Watercooler like this.

We say Ides of March.

Wikipedia must share the same strange idea as me then:

Although parts of Vancouver Island and parts of Eastern Canada are south of the 49th parallel, and parts of the United States (Alaska, Northwest Angle) are north of it, the term 49th parallel is sometimes used metonymically to refer to the entire Canada-U.S. border. Actually, many of Canada's most populated regions (and about 72% of the population) are south of the 49th parallel, including the two largest cities Toronto (43°42′ north) and Montreal (45°30′ north), the federal capital Ottawa (45.25° north) and the capitals of all provinces except the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba), these being the only provinces entirely north of the 49th parallel. The three Maritime provinces are each entirely south of the parallel, but the vast majority of Canadian territory lies north of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    We say Ides of March.

Wikipedia must share the same strange idea as me then:

Although parts of Vancouver Island and parts of Eastern Canada are south of the 49th parallel, and parts of the United States (Alaska, Northwest Angle) are north of it, the term 49th parallel is sometimes used metonymically to refer to the entire Canada-U.S. border. Actually, many of Canada's most populated regions (and about 72% of the population) are south of the 49th parallel, including the two largest cities Toronto (43°42′ north) and Montreal (45°30′ north), the federal capital Ottawa (45.25° north) and the capitals of all provinces except the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba), these being the only provinces entirely north of the 49th parallel. The three Maritime provinces are each entirely south of the parallel, but the vast majority of Canadian territory lies north of it.
    Anyone with common sense knows the 49th parallel is a short-hand for the US-Canada border when spoken in this context. Irrelevant if that actual border skirts south of it for Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. It is meant as the US-Canada border.
    Or do you not understand "the term 49th parallel is sometimes used metonymically to refer to the entire Canada-U.S. border" as you quoted out yourself.

But then, you are an American, so I don't blame you.

What beers are you drinking tonight btw? I think they sell Coors Light in HK (well...somewhere in HK anyway), don't know about the rest of US beer brands however.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 04-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.

More importantly

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    How come Americans can get the date right with "Fourth of July" but get it wrong the rest of the year?
    How come every uniquely American post on Geoexpat gets hijacked by sarcastic Brits?
    LBEAR 40 likes this.

I understand. Too shay.

Not Molson. But I'm not a fan of Budweiser either.

Watercooler and AmericaninKT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    I understand. Too shay.

Not Molson. But I'm not a fan of Budweiser either.
    It's "touche" with an accent. Don't want people to think Americans can't spell...as we drink our beers.

America really doesn't have the best beers. Thank God we saved the U.K. in WW2 so that they could craft some fine brews for us.
    Watercooler and Dankleness like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaninKT:
    How come every uniquely American post on Geoexpat gets hijacked by sarcastic Brits?
    Oh rest assured, I do give the Brits their deserved ribbing from time to time. Nothing like a little Brit-bashing to counter-balance all the American-bashing. I believe in equal opportunity bashing. I like that.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 04-07-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    AmericaninKT and Claire ex-ax like this.

I would applaud you

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Oh rest assured, as someone who lived north of your country, I do give the Brits their deserved ribbing from time to time. Nothing like a little Brit-bashing to counter-balance all the American-bashing. I believe in equal opportunity bashing.
    But you guys gave us Rush so I am not quite sure you can ever be forgiven.

Still, the SCTV guys all came from Canada so you get extra points for that.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaninKT:
    But you guys gave us Rush so I am not quite sure you can ever be forgiven.

Still, the SCTV guys all came from Canada so you get extra points for that.
    We have good comedians.
    AmericaninKT likes this.

I personally love Rush! Neil Peart is the man. And yeah, thank the Lord for Newcastle and Bass Ale (which btw I also like more than Molson and Bud).

AmericaninKT likes this.