Like Tree8Likes

Sonic boom in TST?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Physics not your strong point WC? While light is of course faster than sound, than has nothing to do with we get get thunder. Thunder is caused by the superheating and hence explosion of the air around a lightening strike - the fact that sound waves propograte at approx 330m/s is irrelevant to why thunder occurs.

It does of course explain why lightening is often visible before thunder is audible - perhaps that is what you are getting confused about.
    Picking a straw man argument? Lightning may not cause sonic boom directly, but its heating up of air at supersonic speeds causes the thunder, hence the sonic boom. Or are you telling me thunder has nothing to with lightning? Of course, I admit, my trolling is nowhere close to your ability, I am not the resident troll here after all.

OK - consensus is thunder then. Just trying to inject a little excitement into our day heh ! Yes, I'm aware of what thunder and lightning are, thanks

My immediate thought was of course thunder, but I guess I've never seen (or rather heard) one single, enormous crack of thunder with not a cloud in the sky and the sun so bright. I wasn't suggesting it wasn't possible, but that it was a little strange.

I still haven't heard anything since. Either way it was pretty cool so I'm not too fussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler
    Picking a straw man argument? Lightning may not cause sonic boom directly, but its heating up of air at supersonic speeds causes the thunder, hence the sonic boom. Or are you telling me thunder has nothing to with lightning? Of course, I admit, my trolling is nowhere close to your ability, I am not the resident troll here after all.
    A new upload for "WC's wonderful world of retractions" database?
    TheBrit and HowardCoombs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob
    A new upload for "WC's wonderful world of retractions" database?
    Retractions for what?

I have come to this thread two days late. In case you haven't seen it, it may be worth mentioning that I wrote about a similar event last week. Except for the folderol about ancient gods, what I wrote was factual, not exaggerated. bullworth says, 'it was pretty cool.' I go further. I think it was a truly extraordinary moment.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread298626.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2