Like Tree8Likes

Sonic boom in TST?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sonic boom in TST?

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone around the Tsim Sha Tsui area heard a very loud crack of thunder-like sound this morning (around 7am?) I'm quite sure it wasn't thunder as the sky was completely sunny/clear and it was very loud and there was only one, nothing before or after. There was also a dissipating rumble after it - the sound of something flying away?

At first I thought it might be a military jet, but TST is not exactly a hub of military activity and AFAIK they are trained to do that over water. Another (more) likely explanation is a small meteorite burning up. Or aliens.

I can't find any news or posts on it so I was just hoping someone else heard it!

I also heard something around that time.

I heard it too but I didnt bother looking at the sky as I was still in bed with curtains closed....

I looked at my laptop and saw many clouds over HKG on the radar and assumed it was thunder and rain clouds...

I heard it in Tseung Kwan O - I assumed it was thunder.

Watercooler likes this.

You can always check HKO's lightning maps.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/llis/gm_index.htm

Given the volume between 6:00-8:00am it's likely to have been thunder.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/llis/stat.htm

Watercooler likes this.

Like this?

Yeah, it woke me up on HK Island. It was thunder as the HKO maps show!

It's just the Decepticons attacking Hong Kong

huja likes this.

Thunder it is. 'Nuff said. Since lightning is (much) faster than sound, it naturally causes sonic boom in the form of thunder. And if you look at the HKO radar map, it coincides with an area of thunderstorms. Mystery solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Since lightning is (much) faster than sound, it naturally causes sonic boom in the form of thunder
    Physics not your strong point WC? While light is of course faster than sound, than has nothing to do with we get get thunder. Thunder is caused by the superheating and hence explosion of the air around a lightening strike - the fact that sound waves propograte at approx 330m/s is irrelevant to why thunder occurs.

It does of course explain why lightening is often visible before thunder is audible - perhaps that is what you are getting confused about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast