Like Tree2Likes

How to find a part time cleaner - legal but not agency!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to find a part time cleaner - legal but not agency!

There seem to be lots of options for live in domestic helpers, but if you only need a cleaner for a few hours per week, what do you do? I've seen from other posts that part-time helper ads in Wellcome or on here will probably be from illegal workers.

I'd like to find a legal option but not use a cleaning agency. Agencies don't seem to be set up to deal with people who just want 2-3 hours a week. Also they don't always send the same maid. This could mean that if you have given specific instructions regarding pets or how to clean certain items, the maid won't know and may damage your property unintentionally, or let your pet outside without realising - especially if you aren't there.

Surely there must be a way to find a legal part time cleaner who speaks some English without having to go via an agency? Or am I wrong, is it a choice of legal via an agency OR getting to pick your own cleaner but acting illegally?

What do people do if they just need a few hours per week (that speaks some English) and would like the same cleaner each time?

Hire a local and pay them market rate.

Thanks emx - any thoughts on what's the best way to find a local, and what the market rate is?

as posted by Rani on the other thread.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classif...ilable/cat/410

legal part time but no pets[/QUOTE]

I'm getting a 404 'page not found' error for that url

Go here. http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/emplo...stichelper.htm

We found 2 great helpers from here

mt_cj likes this.

I just responded in the other thread. I have one - legal and good at what she does (I am fussy).

we use someone that our building's caretaker recommended, and who also does other units in our building.
    definitely feel better about using someone who's vouched for, has an interest in keeping up business, etc. i'm sure that there are far more people out there trying to be honest housekeepers than there are people who are trying to pose as housekeepers in order to rob people's homes, i just don't want to go trying my luck with complete strangers.

Just had first visit from cleaner today, contacted ERB - ERB - Smart Living from the govt list; they took a while and had to be chased up, but they came thru with a local Chinese lady and her English is pretty good. They aren't an agency, as I understand it they just connect 'smart helpers' to 'employers'. She's coming for 4 hours a week, same person each time, and speaks enough English to make things easy. Reasonable hourly rate too. Thanks dumbdonkey!

HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast