D.H. clarification please

D.H. clarification please

I'm having a brain dead moment and cant figure out what happens to DH's visa

Im about to employ a new DH - her existing contract comes to an end on 22nd August but her visa is valid til mid Sept.

When her contract ends will she be allowed to stay til mid Sept or does it become 2 weeks from 22nd as if she had terminated?

thanks!

Last edited by Teabaglady; 14-08-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: addition

The latter I believe, although she can normally get an extension if she can show an application for a new contract in progress.

But doesn't she have to fly back to The Philippines between contracts anyway?

>> But doesn't she have to fly back to The Philippines between
    >> contracts anyway?

If the employer submits a letter with the application stating that they need the helper to join urgently, Immd usually waives the trip back home from what I gather and gives a 1 year visa which is then renewed on reentry... or something like that.

If she has finished her existing contract (i.e she did not break her contract or she was not terminated [dreadful expression] surely she can stay in HK?

Even the girls who do get terminated or break their contracts normally stay in HK for a maximum of 2 weeks then exit to Macau (used to be China) and stay in a boarding house for a month or so whilst their new application is being processed.

If a DH finishes her contract there is, as I understand, it no need for her to exit HK as long as she either a) signs a new contract with the same employer or b) signs a new contract with a new employer and the application is being processed with the Immigration Dept before expiry of the old contract.

Many DHs process their new contracts 4-6 weeks before expiry of the old one.

A DH is, of course, perfectly at liberty to exit HK between contracts if she so wishes as the employer has to provide a return ticket as part of the contract (or at least provide the cash equivalent which is more the norm).

dh

thanks everyone!