Like Tree318Likes

Things you haven't encountered prior to living in HK

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Hmm, I knew I should have stated ' towing ' instead. And sure, if you are the roads department that needs to tow generators, or road line painting equipment, or the Jockey Club to tow horse floats. then sure it's legal. Joe public have 9.5 tenths of F all of ever being granted a permit, unless they work for a body that requires trailers.

I have been through this with trying to get a towing permit so I can tow our Zodiac on a trailer. For the purpose of using the VRC's boat ramp,( located very conveniently to where our house is ) and then pop it back on the trailer at the end of the day and then park the trailer under our under cover carport, like normal people back home.

My point was, that back home, NO PERMIT IS REQUIRED to tow a domestic trailer that any car can pull. Just like I don't need a boating license either....Just like anybody back home can drive a LWB Toyota Hiace without needing another license category, same goes for a 5.5 tonne truck. unlike here, which I find mildly retarded.

And for the record, all of the bike racks I have seen, quite a few in Sai Kung, all use the suction cup style. I've never seen a car fitted with a towbar and bike beak fitted.

Installing a proper tow bar for a specific make of car that has the detachable tongue & ball etc, would be way too much F'ing around than most folks in 'HK' would be able to stomach, it'd be like building a pyramid. lmfao.
    Hong Kong has probably the highest car density in the world and ample supply of cheap delivery service providers. The opening up of trailer pulling to the wider community as per your home country would probably have unintended consequences such as most Hi-Ace drivers suddenly doubling their capacity whilst also 1/2'íng their effective road tax bill and clogging the streets with their extra capacity. May be a fanciful scenario but the densely packed streets of Hong Kong are probably not the best place to encourage trailer use.

Although it would be nice to have a trailer at times having roads tailer free is also probably pretty good for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Taxi drivers with not one, two, three... but SIX phones! (Had this coming home last night, they were all plug in, too.... my picture didn't turn out well unfortunately.)
    This seems to be dying out as more and more now just have a couple of very large smart phones.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This seems to be dying out as more and more now just have a couple of very large smart phones.
    He had it ALL, including a little old style cell phone that he would pick up and push buttons on. It seemed he was running some sort of call-center like service? I couldn't quite tell. Several of the phones were off, but two seemed to be used for specific purposes. Man, I really wish I had gotten a picture of his phone "display", with his bluetooth headset, and him talking on the little cell phone in his hand! He was doing 120km at times, too.... bloody scary!

Newspapers sold in plastic bags.

Cashiers sticking a piece of tape on a purchase to show it has been paid for.

Cashiers closing a carrier bag with a piece of tape - as a courtesy, or to prevent you from slipping something into it?

In far-off days: being given a free box of matches when you bought a packet of cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    Newspapers sold in plastic bags.

Cashiers sticking a piece of tape on a purchase to show it has been paid for.

Cashiers closing a carrier bag with a piece of tape - as a courtesy, or to prevent you from slipping something into it?

In far-off days: being given a free box of matches when you bought a packet of cigarettes.
    Which reminds me - being given a free pack of tissues when I buy a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Or any of the random stuff you get for free. I once got a bottle of wine Chinese red wine free when I bought a pack of beer in Park'n'shop. Looked so ropey I never plucked up the courage to try it!

Also got a free 6 pack of toilet roll when I bought some moisturiser in Mannings the other week. Thing was, I was off to the pub so didn't want to carry around 6 rolls of bog roll all night. Confused the hell out of the sales clerk that I didn't want the free item.

6 digit PINs

reprazent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Or any of the random stuff you get for free. I once got a bottle of wine Chinese red wine free when I bought a pack of beer in Park'n'shop. Looked so ropey I never plucked up the courage to try it!

Also got a free 6 pack of toilet roll when I bought some moisturiser in Mannings the other week. Thing was, I was off to the pub so didn't want to carry around 6 rolls of bog roll all night. Confused the hell out of the sales clerk that I didn't want the free item.
    One might question the need for moisturiser when going to the pub?

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Or being given a free bottle of water when you buy panadol or similar at Watsons, 7/11 etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Or any of the random stuff you get for free.
    There was a period of extreme over-production in China during the 1990s when you would get a free credit-card size calculator when you bought a toothbrush.

Parents giving seats to their young children in buses and trains, and standing themselves.

People wearing gloves to read newspapers.

Second-hand books bought by weight. (Chinese books. I learnt about this from a film.)
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast