Is there a way out for air pollution in Hk?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southside
    Posts
    656

    Well we'll see how good China is to their word after the Olympics. That will be the real test. Were the intentions good and pure, i.e. to improve the quality of life for their people, or were they, first a necessary promise to make to win their olympics bid and secondly, a temporary goal to show the world during the games how they are changing?

    As for the banning 50% of cars, did that actually happen? This is a serious question, I'm not being facetious. I thought they were ridiculed for making it volontary. And if they did it are they going to continue it on after the games?


  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    30,096
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Well we'll see how good China is to their word after the Olympics. That will be the real test. Were the intentions good and pure, i.e. to improve the quality of life for their people, or were they, first a necessary promise to make to win their olympics bid and secondly, a temporary goal to show the world during the games how they are changing?

    As for the banning 50% of cars, did that actually happen? This is a serious question, I'm not being facetious. I thought they were ridiculed for making it volontary. And if they did it are they going to continue it on after the games?
    Yes more or less I think. There was some talk of rich people getting two plates (happens in Manila too) but overall it happened. Voluntary in China?

    I think there will be change - even the aussies, descendants of convicts, have become part civilised You're just sore because us Brits have got more golds than you.

    (Oh from the other thread, no Gilles never gives up on an argument so I pity his poor wife if he has one. I used to have a friend like that, believed the last one to speak on an argument had won it.)

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    180

    Given that more than 1000 new cars are being driven every day in Beijing alone I'm not sure how much of an effect limiting people to driving every second day will have. As you said, in Manila they just get two plates. In Naples they get two cars Where there is a will there's a way.

    Last edited by SpecialK; 19-08-2008 at 09:22 PM.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sham Tseng, NT
    Posts
    452

    What pollution? Seriously. I often read about pollution in HK newspapers, but compared to other big cities HK doesn't seem worse to me. People in Shanghai and Beijing have every right to complain, but HK doesn't seem that bad to me (from a newbie point of view anyway).


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    (Oh from the other thread, no Gilles never gives up on an argument so I pity his poor wife if he has one. I used to have a friend like that, believed the last one to speak on an argument had won it.)
    You're assuming that any woman could actually put up with me??? Shocking! I don't believe in marriage sorry... Not my kind of institution

    And by the way, I don't believe in winning an argument, it never happens... Most people are too closed minded to see other people's point of view and you can always pick and choose facts to suit your point so.... I simply enjoy the process...

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    What pollution? Seriously. I often read about pollution in HK newspapers, but compared to other big cities HK doesn't seem worse to me. People in Shanghai and Beijing have every right to complain, but HK doesn't seem that bad to me (from a newbie point of view anyway).
    Well here are some facts, you can decide for yourself if it's good or bad...

    On 19 and 20 November 2006, roadside levels of respirable suspended particulates (RSPs – equivalent to PM10) exceeded the WHO guidelines by at least 300%

    According to research at the University of Hong Kong, the air in Hong Kong contains almost three times more soot and other pollutants than New York's and more than twice of that in London.

    Just because there are worse places, it doesn't mean it's good

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    What pollution? Seriously. I often read about pollution in HK newspapers, but compared to other big cities HK doesn't seem worse to me. People in Shanghai and Beijing have every right to complain, but HK doesn't seem that bad to me (from a newbie point of view anyway).
    How long have you been here? If less than 2 months, just wait until the monsoon winds subside....! First 9 months I was here I did have a SINGLE CLEAR DAY......

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong Island
    Posts
    149

    Is there any way to give China the Olympics every year? Maybe we'll have nice blue skies.

    I can see Hong Kong cleaning itself up, but China(and by default the USA/Canada/England/Australia/Europe)? ummmmm...

    The nice black skies are what we get for the cheap useless crap that we all fill our houses with.


  9. #19

    if sometimes you want to place to live with bit lesser pollution hope Cheung Chau Island in Hong Kong serves it.. please correct me if i am wrong


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sham Tseng, NT
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    How long have you been here? If less than 2 months, just wait until the monsoon winds subside....! First 9 months I was here I did have a SINGLE CLEAR DAY......
    Well it is less then 2 months, so you are right about that. So far i'm seeing many clear days, but apparently this is rather unusual?

    To me the level of polution in HK as compared to a city like Shanghai is acceptable, but maybe i'll sing a different tune in a year or so.