Is there a way out for air pollution in Hk?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I believe HK people are not going to give up the consumption-led life style. But i was so surprised to read Canada also suffering from air pollution last week. Seems air pollution is inevitable problem in all cities.

Quote Originally Posted by leekf7:
    I believe HK people are not going to give up the consumption-led life style. But i was so surprised to read Canada also suffering from air pollution last week. Seems air pollution is inevitable problem in all cities.
    With Guangdong next door, the HK consumption pattern won't matter much when it comes to local pollution. Have a look, cross the border and take a bus to Dongguang for ex. People are working there (and as a result polluting) as there is no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    With Guangdong next door, the HK consumption pattern won't matter much when it comes to local pollution. Have a look, cross the border and take a bus to Dongguang for ex. People are working there (and as a result polluting) as there is no tomorrow.
    Scapegoating China for HK's pollution is a very convenient thing to do. Obviously depending on weather patterns, it has a significant impact yet it's estimated that over 50% of the pollution is local and most of that comes from the local power plants which are quite dirty.

Quick Air Pollution Statistics - Clear The Air Hong Kong

Actually the local power plants are fine by world standards - I've even spent some time chatting to the clear the air guy who probably wrote the link you posted.....

It's much more transport than electricity causing this pollution, and I think the fact that when the wind blows onshore it almost completely clears up highlights just how much is coming from Guangdong during the winter.

Sorry FilipH - enjoy it while you can - you are in for a rude awakening when the wind changes direction! I was the other way around, having been here 8 months I didn't realise that it would ever get better! On the first clear day in June I rushed up Castle Peak with a camera to record my first clear day just in case it was a one-off and not repeated.....!!!

MovingIn07, well ... I guess you're right so let's just enjoy these nice days...

to all those who complain of air pollution within hk

why do you consider moving to less polluted places, such as sha tau kok, fan ling, tai po.

i breath the cleanest air every morning ( however, it's also the coldest place in winter and possibly the hottest in summer in hk ), never see an traces of polluted air here.

however, not the most convenient place as well as being reallly remote in terms of getting to work

I hike all over Hong Kong at weekends, including to remote places, and have never noticed a jot of difference in the pollution within HK.

http://annatam.com/where-in-hong-kon...bestworst-air/

i believe that some people has the same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    to all those who complain of air pollution within hk

why do you consider moving to less polluted places, such as sha tau kok, fan ling, tai po.

i breath the cleanest air every morning ( however, it's also the coldest place in winter and possibly the hottest in summer in hk ), never see an traces of polluted air here.

however, not the most convenient place as well as being reallly remote in terms of getting to work
    Cleaner doesn't mean clean... and moving to the NT and then having to drive to work won't help the situation either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3