Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By East_coast

What can you do about smokers in your building?

Closed Thread

What can you do about smokers in your building?

Had some issues in the past, and now it seems to have come back. Someone on the floors above or below (or adjacent) smoke out of their window. I can't see who it is, but not only is the smoke coming in the AC, but I also sometimes keep clothes hanging on the outside rack. I'm pretty sensitive to cigarette smoke, and it can give me headaches pretty quickly. Definitely don't want it in my home. Is there anything one can do about it? It's even harder not knowing exactly which flat it's coming from. Are there any customs about people going down to smoke in HK? In these tall towers, it's pretty easy to irritate a lot of people if you smoke out of your flat.

this is rele pain in da neck. so far, a found nothing can b done.
    also wanna find sum clues here, 4 how to deal wid dis.

They are smoking in their home. Take control of your life, use the air con, don't open your windows and use a dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    They are smoking in their home. Take control of your life, use the air con, don't open your windows and use a dryer.
    The smell is coming *through* the AC and is pretty overwhelming (it's one of those stronger cig smells... from cheap cigs?). In the cooler season, I do run around shutting the windows, wait for the smell to go away, then air-out my flat again. I'm just curious what the norms are about this and what other people might do if they have had issues like this...

How is the smoke coming in through the A/C? Thy inside air is not directly connected to the outside air. Only the tubes with the refrigerant are connected. No airflow through the whole unit.

The neighbors are smoking in their own home, there is nothing you can do. What will you do if the neighbors grill on their balcony? Call the fire dept?

It's a window AC.

Well, technically, if they were smoking IN their home, it wouldn't be a problem, would it? If they open the window and lean out, then it's worse.

Grilling could also cause a similar nuisance, but that doesn't happen as frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's a window AC.

does your aircon have a outside / recirc option? If not doesn't the air not get cooled within the room rather than trying to cool very hot air from outside?
    kimwy66 likes this.

Someone smoking in their own house, technically there is nothing you can do about it unless your in a serviced apartment and NO-SMOKING RULE IS IN FORCE.

Even if they were cooking stinky tofu every day for their own consumption in a private house there is still nothing you can do about it.

Does your AC have a vent function that you can open and close that lets in outside air, if it does then close it.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

does your aircon have a outside / recirc option? If not doesn't the air not get cooled within the room rather than trying to cool very hot air from outside?
    I am sure that in a perfect world, window-mounted AC units don't leak. This is, however, Hong Kong, home of shoddily-installed-everything. I have noticed that some of our AC units allow cross breezes to flow through our entire flat so they are certainly not well sealed.

Elegiaque: I am pretty sure there is little you can do and it's just one of those downsides to living in such a dense city. Your neighbours seem to be within their rights to blow smoke out their windows, and even if they realised it was a nuisance, they probably wouldn't give a shit.

One option would be to check that your windows are not leaking smokey air into your flat (they almost certainly leak air, it's a question of whether the windows in question leak in or leak out). If they leak in, seal them. A second option would be more expensive- get a high-flow air purifier with a carbon filter and run it whenever there's a problem. A Blueair would be the only filter that I'd think of for this as they are designed to be high-flow/low-efficiency units, unlike most standard HEPA filters. But they are not cheap.