Help.. Car sales conmen!!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

i feel your pain but a contract is a contract. we are only hearing 1 side of the story. can u show us the contract?

being $30 grand out of pocket sucks but you should review your contract in details and that there is no exuberant fee for early termination or car disposal fee.

I can't read chinese but i can get it translated. where do i click on the website.

I have no intention whatsoever to re-export to the UK. But they should give me a car under the conditions of the contract at the value agreed on the contract. Anything not mentioned there, I will arrange for and pay for myself. I don't need the dealer to anticipate my need and to pay in advance without informing me of their actions and of the costs.

They shouldn't spring other costs on me that they intentionally omitted from the contract and were careful not to mention in prior discussion. This is my 5th car, I had 3 cars in the UK, and this is my second here.

It is however my first time dealing buying an import car with dodgy dealers intent on taking you for a ride.

These guys clearly do this kind of thing regularly and yet they are still in business. I can cough up, it would be less hassle but then the only people who benefit from this would be the swindlers.

I spoke to the finance company who said the car is already in my name. They have arranged for the owner of the dealership to give me a call tonight. I will see what he says.

If not, I will try to arrange interviews with some of the local newspapers and magazines.

so what kinda car is it? (sorry i have nothing else useful to say, i've never owned a car in hong kong)

Last edited by manesh; 26-08-2008 at 07:24 PM.

I will reveal what car it is later and will even post pictures and give free rides to everyone who supported me on this forum if I get the car ok?? I just don't want to divert the subject of this discussion into what a great car or what a crap car!

Guess what, the owner of the dealership didn't call me yesterday but the finance company told me the car is already in my name and that I am paying for it. Well, I am going there tonight to claim my car. It's legally mine and I will settle as per the contract which was signed by both parties. Anybody with friends in the Cheung Sha Wan police department, please warn them that I will be calling them tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyaki:
    I will reveal what car it is later and will even post pictures and give free rides to everyone who supported me on this forum if I get the car ok?? I just don't want to divert the subject of this discussion into what a great car or what a crap car!

Guess what, the owner of the dealership didn't call me yesterday but the finance company told me the car is already in my name and that I am paying for it. Well, I am going there tonight to claim my car. It's legally mine and I will settle as per the contract which was signed by both parties. Anybody with friends in the Cheung Sha Wan police department, please warn them that I will be calling them tonight!!!
    Good to know that it is yours....but it may be difficult to drive it away with no registration!
    You may need to organize a tow truck to take it to your car parking space.
    Good luck.

I've kinda steered clear of this thread for a while but will throw in my experiences as someone who has owned a few cars here including the latest which is an imported model from Japan not available officially in HK and which I believe is the most relevant.

When I went to replace my last car I actually spent a few months looking around until I was sure exactly what car I wanted. Once I did that I spent some time walking around dealer supermarkets (like HITEC in Kowloon Bay) and making a note of who had what. This helped hugely with price negotiations, etc as I knew what other dealers in the same venue had in stock. Now right from the start I got a cost breakdown, especially true with a trade in vehicle, and arranged an inspection with the AA. This cost breakdown stated deposit, car trade in value, registration fee, import tax, etc. In fact it was pretty thorough. What is important to note is that the cost displayed on the car included the import tax.

I would say that if the car you have bought displayed a price that did not include this tax then you may be half way to making a case, but of course this may also be affected by what else was written on the display. Certainly it's not fair to inform you of this cost after the deal has been done, you would certainly take the displayed price to be an on the road price minus certain government obligations such as registration transfer, road tax, etc. Go consumer council, see what they say first. They may themselves decide to take it further down a legal path.

not to pour cold water, but did you went around the whole compound and saw similar cars being offered by other dealers at higher prices (maybe 30 or 50k higher)... and eventually settled on this one merchant that offered u really good deal ?

i tend to see alot of people trying to skim for a bargain thru unconventional means and ended up being short changed at some points of their transaction.

prices tend to be hovering around some fair market value + profit. so if you see somethign that are out of teh extraordinarily cheap. be cautious.

I agree with freeier. If a deal sounds really good, do approach with care.

IMO, contract should have made it more clear that the buyer will have to be responsible for the First Registration Tax (since it *is* a significant amount of money). And details should have been made clear to the buyer before a dime of deposit is made.

Car dealers today offer free petrol or free first year insurance as incentives, *but* they do state exactly how much petrol, or the free insurance comes at 60% NCB (or some other NCB).

You could consult a lawyer I know if you like. He's in Tin Hau though... Atty. Tso 2503-3967

Good luck~

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    not to pour cold water, but did you went around the whole compound and saw similar cars being offered by other dealers at higher prices (maybe 30 or 50k higher)... and eventually settled on this one merchant that offered u really good deal ?

i tend to see alot of people trying to skim for a bargain thru unconventional means and ended up being short changed at some points of their transaction.

prices tend to be hovering around some fair market value + profit. so if you see somethign that are out of teh extraordinarily cheap. be cautious.

Just to add to what I said:

The dealership probably "assumed" you knew every detail.
    But I guess they forgot this minor detail...
    "Assumptions are the mother of all (quack) ups."

Lawyer recco

Try our lawyer who helped us buy our first apt in HK last year - very thorough and lovely guy too - he'll help you and if he can't he'l know who to send you to.

Raymong Tong & Co Solicitors
    Email: [email protected]
    +852 2854 3131
    Room 1803, 18F, Twr 2, Admiralty Ctr, 18 Harcourt Rd, HK.

Good luck.