Does Hong Kong government really cares about their own people? I don't think so!!

Closed Thread

Angry Does Hong Kong government really cares about their own people? I don't think so!!

Last week was the darkest time in my life. My father had an accident and lost his precious life. His death basically is because of mistakes made by the Hong Kong government. Some of you may know that there was news about an elder fell into an uncovered 沙井 and causing a severe brain damage. My father was in coma and passed away after a couple days. This is a shock to our entire family and I believe there is nothing we can do to take away any of the pain and sadness we are feeling. Indeed, this dangerous and fatal hidden manhole is located right in high traffic street (何文田常樂街). My angriness and madness cannot be explained in any words. When we were trying to contact any department in the Hong Kong government, NONE, I mean NONE of those stupid departments could explain to us which one of them should responsible for maintain those沙井. What they only DID is to pushing around and keeps pointing their fingers and even making ridiculous argument. One response was so ridiculous that they claimed those 沙井 are properly maintained and regulated even without any cover for a depth for a 2 meter depth manhole!! If they argument is correct, what was the reason all those沙井 were all covered up with temporary wooden boards NOW if those are safe?? I am really really confused about that. As we are the victims of those unfortunates, the only thing we really want to do is to urge our so-called “government” to take a thorough look at those manholes. I personally don’t know how many of those manholes are around us but if our so-called “government” cares about their own people, they better take some actions to prevent those happening again from now on. Losing my father is an tragedy to our family and I don’t want those happening to other families in Hong Kong. I just feel so helpless and hopeless getting fairness for my lovely dad!!!

that's really sad, very sorry to hear that. Seems to me that walking on the street is quite a risky activity in HK - falling debris, loose shop signs, rotten trees and unsafe manholes.

Did you contact the Highways Department? Sounds to me like it is in their remit.

Highways Department

Maybe you should seek legal advice as someone should be culpable.

i'm really sorry to hear of your loss.

from what i've heard, a lot of the street work is not just done by the highways department but also by all sorts of companies (cabletv, phone cos, etc etc) and they don't communicate with each other, but instead just go about their own business themselves)... i'm not sure if there's some authority that's incharge of keeping an eye on all of them..?

i highly recommend seeking legal help on this as soon as possible... again, i'm really sorry to hear of your loss...this sort of stuff should not be happening at all

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

DDV, my condolences..

A brief note of advice, ...instead of doing the rounds between the various government departments, save yourself the trouble and take up your case with the Ombudsman.

Office of The Ombudsman, Hong Kong

AND,...like the other's say, get a lawyer,...a GOOD one. It's time you fought back. Good luck!

Condolence to you.

Please update us if you ever decide to get a lawyer and sue the city.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have to agree that these government departments really threw salt on open wounds by not being helpful and NOT accepting responsibility and not even telling you who is in charge of these manholes.

Can some one explain to me what good are these over paid government civil servants for anyway? It seems all they do is suck up tax payer dollars and then pretend it's not their problem when someone dies due to their negligence.

On the other hand, the HK government taxes far less and is far more competent than the US government. However it is unacceptable for negligence of any kind to put an innocent citizen in danger.