Who lives in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who lives in Hong Kong?

It seems like a stupid question, I know. 7 million people all different, but I'm still curious.

My girlfriend and I are considering moving there, we've visited a couple of times, but I'm still not really sure who lives there, what they do, where they came from and how long they're staying and what were your reasons for moving?

For the record we are both 30, no children, from the UK, have been in Australia and New Zealand for the last couple of years. I work in sales and my girlfriend does medical administration. We'd probably intend to stay at least 2 years, and the appeal of it is the energy of the city itself, plus the access to China and other areas (for that matter access to anywhere compared to Australia and NZ!)

Have you considered how you and your girlfriend might get visas (being unmarried you will each need to justify one in your own right) that would allow you to stay for 2 years? You can't just roll up and say "Hi, I'm moving to Hong Kong" - Immigration will send you straight back where you came from.

Most foreigners move here because they have a job to come to, or are married to someone who has. Excluding teachers and domestic helpers, the most common mode of getting a job here as a foreigner is through an internal transfer with an existing employer.

I've spoken to a few recruitment consultancies there who would be interested in meeting and believe (based on my CV and phone interview) that the visa wouldn't be a problem for me.

My girlfriend's work prospects is something we'll scope out while we're there. Teaching English is one option she's interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS:
    It seems like a stupid question, I know. 7 million people all different, but I'm still curious.
    Cantonese people live here. Like just under 7 million of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS:
    I've spoken to a few recruitment consultancies there who would be interested in meeting and believe (based on my CV and phone interview) that the visa wouldn't be a problem for me.
    Mandy Rice-Davies applies.

Thanks to those who posted helpful answers.

PDLM
    Thanks for your concern...

i live here

AJS...just ignore PDLM's comments. it seems like he has problem with people "rolling" up here without proper visa or documentation based on his many other posts on this subject.

I don't have a problem with it - I simply, as a public service, point out that Immigration do.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast