Like Tree4Likes

New 2 years tenancy agreement to sign due to rent increase after 1 fixed year

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 2 years tenancy agreement to sign due to rent increase after 1 fixed year

Hi - My husband and I signed a 2 years (1 year fixed + 1 year breakable with 2 months notice period) tenancy agreement a 1 year ago. The landlord decided to increase the rent after the end of the 1st year (now). We are fine with the rent increase but he wants us to sign again a 2 years with the 1st year fixed. We just want to continue on the same 2 years contract we signed a year ago, starting the breakable year.
    He mentioned this is normal to re-sign a 2 years contract with 1 year fixed if the rent increase after a year but it doesn't seem normal to me.
    Does someone experienced the same issue or does someone know what is legal or not?

No, this is not normal nor legal. You signed a contract for two years, unless there is a clause stating that the landlord has the right to increase the rent after one year. Re read your contract and go over any loopholes before you hand over any money to your greedy guts land lord.

I don't know much about this particular issue. But my gut says this whole thing is dodgy at the least. I would follow advise from the guy above me.

This is very common. You either agree to the increase and start a new contract or move out as you have passes the fixed year.

usehername, hullexile and Proplus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    This is very common. You either agree to the increase and start a new contract or move out as you have passes the fixed year.
    That is at the end of a 2 year contract. Not after the first year while your current contract is still on-going. Am I missing something?

Your current contract specified your previous rent. Your rent has changed so now you need a new contract.

You can try and insist on a contract with 1 month notice period from the start (no fixed period) but I doubt your ll would agree.

Or you can sign a new contract with the first year fixed as requested.

Or you find another apartment.

Depends how much you like the flat.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    No, this is not normal nor legal. You signed a contract for two years, unless there is a clause stating that the landlord has the right to increase the rent after one year. Re read your contract and go over any loopholes before you hand over any money to your greedy guts land lord.
    Once you're in the one month notice phase it's very common for lls to raise the rent. If you agree to pay it you sign a new contract; if you don't agree then you've got a month to find a new place.

Sure, they could give you one months notice to leave first and *then* ask you if want to sign a new contract at an increased rent- but most do it the other way round.

Thanks all for your comments. It seems that we have an option: to sign for 2 years again but with 3 months notice from the first year. I still don't understand why we don't sign only 1 year because everyone knows the rent increase every year and we need to sign a new contract anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

@karine, NOT all LL are that shitty that they keeping upping the rent every year, mine LL for example, he sticks to the 2 year agreement and because of that we have been good tenants so far

My next door neighbour, her LL sucks, they have been increasing the rent every year for her so she needs to sign a new contract every year which is a right pain in the arse.

Edit: Why did the LL want 3 months notice this time, that a bit too long, I wouldnt agree to that.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 30-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.

More often than not the rent doesn't increase after the first year - I'd say 4 out of 5 of my friends haven't had increases after first year. Of course a lot depends on the market, which is relatively subdued at the moment. A few years back rents were rocketing so things were different.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast