Like Tree14Likes

Is Mong Kok dangerous?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The BeeDees:
    London is not that dangerous. I have lived and worked in London for 6 years and never have to use my pepper spray once.
    When were you last living in London?
    Not that recently I gather considering you're moving over from Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I assume you live in kensington, chelsea or some other leafy affluent area within london.
    A majority of the knife crimes will be in areas of high unemployment, eg, brixton.
    Chelsea's a prime spot for muggings. More rich people to mug.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by dazeddude:
    Hi, just wondering if Mong Kok is one place in Hong Kong I should be avoiding. Was there last night and I accidentally bumped into some guy on the street and then he turned around and wanted to pick a fight. I'm Chinese but being from overseas I was bigger and taller than him but he did have a skinny friend with him so I guess he figured they'd gang up on me. I could've just let them have it like the game whack-a-mole but what benefit would I have gotten out of it. Instead I ignored them and kept on walking with them following, luckily two police officers appeared and they headed in the other direction, I then hopped on a mini-bus and went back to Central. Having spent most of my time on Hong Kong Island I have yet to experience this on the island. Just wondering if this kind of thing is a Mong Kok thing or a Kowloon thing or it happens all over Hong Kong and I live too sheltered a life.
    You were lucky you didn't bump into some drunken expat! I remember reading in the paper last year about some delivery guy bumping into a big drunken expat. He ended up being POWER BOMBED (wrestling move) onto the bare pavement, fracturing his skull.

Then again, both your incident and this one are surely isolated. I definitely feel a lot more secure here than many other places.

The BeeDees: London is not that dangerous. I have lived and worked in London for 6 years and never have to use my pepper spray once.

City life is city life...

London is not that bad... yet you still carried pepper spray! I smell a contradiction lol!
    Last edited by dizzydancer2005; 07-09-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I assume you live in kensington, chelsea or some other leafy affluent area within london. A majority of the knife crimes will be in areas of high unemployment, eg, brixton.
    Nah, I have stayed in Euston (student hall, where there is a rape case almost every semester), Queensway, Tower Hill and Limehouse. Nowhere as posh as you think. I guess my point is that there is always an element of danger lurking in the background, one just have to be aware and cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydancer2005:
    The BeeDees: London is not that dangerous. I have lived and worked in London for 6 years and never have to use my pepper spray once.

City life is city life...

London is not that bad... yet you still carried pepper spray! I smell a contradiction lol!
    I was given one when I moved to London.

jimbo - you are a sherlock in the making! I moved from London to Singapore in '07, and now moving to HK.

Last edited by The BeeDees; 08-09-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The BeeDees:
    jimbo - you are a sherlock in the making! I moved from London to Singapore in '07, and now moving to HK.
    Well to be fair London has definately got worse in the past 12 months or so.

Particularly Croydon and South of the River

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Is pepper spray now legal in the UK? If not, you risked being arrested while the attacker could walk away free.

The only time I have been attacked in London was at a bus station by a drunken Australian chap. Fortunately he was too pissed to do much. But that was many years ago; these days the place is nasty. Hong Kong, Mongkok included, is far, far safer.

Fiona in HKG and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Is pepper spray now legal in the UK? If not, you risked being arrested while the attacker could walk away free.
    Nope not Legal to carry and yes she would of been in big trouble if caught.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast