Like Tree14Likes

Is Mong Kok dangerous?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Is pepper spray now legal in the UK? If not, you risked being arrested while the attacker could walk away free.
    Phew! Thank goodness I never have to use it. I passed it on to my friend who went to live in NYC. Is it legal there?

OP, you only bumped into dweebs. The real nasty pieces of shits aren't put off by a coupla police ocifers, nor would they make a scene on their own turf.

You can use something like this in the UK (legally):

Farb-Gel-Spray - UK's Legal Alternative To Pepper Spray

Pepper spray is legal in NYC.

Mong Kok is pretty tame.

So is HK in general. I've had punkie looking teenagers politely apologize for bumping into me.

If you meet sth threatening I'd do my best to brush it off. Try to be friendly even when the other person is acting like an a**hole.

I have found that being a gweilo can bring on a lot more insults and rude comments than it used to.

That silly stereotype about learning a language so that you can understand what "they" are saying about you is starting to make sense...

While I totally agree that HK is much much safer some of the comments on violent crime in the UK seems a little exaggerated. Crime stats show 2% of people are subject to violent crime causing even minor injury and crime surveys put this at 3%. This varies enormously by age, so if you are 16-24 the rate is over 8%, if you are over 75 it is 0.2%. Still worryingly high though.

Quote Originally Posted by dazeddude:
    Hi, just wondering if Mong Kok is one place in Hong Kong I should be avoiding. Was there last night and I accidentally bumped into some guy on the street and then he turned around and wanted to pick a fight. I'm Chinese but being from overseas I was bigger and taller than him but he did have a skinny friend with him so I guess he figured they'd gang up on me. I could've just let them have it like the game whack-a-mole but what benefit would I have gotten out of it. Instead I ignored them and kept on walking with them following, luckily two police officers appeared and they headed in the other direction, I then hopped on a mini-bus and went back to Central. Having spent most of my time on Hong Kong Island I have yet to experience this on the island. Just wondering if this kind of thing is a Mong Kok thing or a Kowloon thing or it happens all over Hong Kong and I live too sheltered a life.
    Maybe not stay away, but do exactly as you did and you should be fine. It takes 2 people to fight, and if you just ignore them, then you shouldn't have too big of a problem.

I saw 5 fist fights in my 5 years stay in HK - 3 of which is in MongKok - I've probably visited there 25 times max. If you go into certain building's fire exits, you might see blood and needles on the ground. When I reported to the security, they acted as if it's the most normal thing ever but they did call the police.

I think the fist fights isn't that big of a deal. Just 2 (not criminal) hot headed people accidentally meet in the same location.

But the drug scene is located in Mong Kok - if you're just there purchasing goods in tourist places, then you wouldn't cross your life with theirs.

I'm referring to mainly the areas located near Mong Kok MTR & SSP MTR.
    Last edited by Creative83; 26-06-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Erm the thread is 7 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Erm the thread is 7 years old.
    Bugger, I didn't look beyond the previous post!

Mong Kok must have changed in those seven years. I can't imagine getting into a fist fight there, or even seeing one, aside from during the Occupy protests when there were some pretty tense confrontations and some violence from the counterprotesters.
    To the OP, who has clearly been waiting with bated breath lo these seven years, it's not dangerous in any sense that i understand that term. It is way crowded, so I'm sure that you've got a good chance of picking up someone's cold or something like that. It does seem like there's more stuff falling from the sky there, or even thrown down from above, which is what I'd worry about there.

Well the thread is alive now! Talking of fist fights, I've never seen one in 6 years here. The closest has been at football matches involving gweilos haha.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast