Like Tree14Likes

Is Mong Kok dangerous?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is Mong Kok dangerous?

Hi, just wondering if Mong Kok is one place in Hong Kong I should be avoiding. Was there last night and I accidentally bumped into some guy on the street and then he turned around and wanted to pick a fight. I'm Chinese but being from overseas I was bigger and taller than him but he did have a skinny friend with him so I guess he figured they'd gang up on me. I could've just let them have it like the game whack-a-mole but what benefit would I have gotten out of it. Instead I ignored them and kept on walking with them following, luckily two police officers appeared and they headed in the other direction, I then hopped on a mini-bus and went back to Central. Having spent most of my time on Hong Kong Island I have yet to experience this on the island. Just wondering if this kind of thing is a Mong Kok thing or a Kowloon thing or it happens all over Hong Kong and I live too sheltered a life.

Very isolated to be honest and Mongkok is nowhere near that bad.

If you bump into somebody then just apologise and walk on. The guy was probably just trying to show off and he grew some balls because he wasn't alone, Don't worry about the incident as chances are it won't happen to you again in a long long time.

No where in Hong Kong's dangerous, by any western standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamton:
    No where in Hong Kong's dangerous, by any western standard.
    True, Forgot to add that if you did that in London you'd be stabbed. 24 teen murders due to knife crime since January in London alone says it all.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

The only thing dangerous about Mong Kok is the food served at some of the restuarants in the district. What happened you there last night could just as easily have happened in Wanchai, Cwb, Central or any other place.

Maybe back in the 70s or 80s... not anymore. I have some cousins who joined gangs when they were young and they use to "pek yau" all the time with machetes back in the day in mongkok. These days, they're too busy working, and the younger gangsters I see around now are also too busy working.

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 05-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Very isolated to be honest and Mongkok is nowhere near that bad.

If you bump into somebody then just apologise and walk on. The guy was probably just trying to show off and he grew some balls because he wasn't alone, Don't worry about the incident as chances are it won't happen to you again in a long long time.
    Since coming here last September this is the first incident I have heard of like this. Jimbo is far more experienced here than I, but yes, just apologize and keep going.

This to me is a very, very safe city night or day. Maybe at 2 am in Sham Shui Po, I'd feel a little less comfy on a side street but his is a safe place to me.

Mongkok is the place to be in Kowloon. Please don't let that one incident scare you off. That guy was just a dick. And there are a lot of them in HK. But it's unfortunate that this one got violent. Mongkok is the busiest place in that part of Kowloon. People bump into everyone else and everything. Keep going. It's a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    True, Forgot to add that if you did that in London you'd be stabbed. 24 teen murders due to knife crime since January in London alone says it all.
    Lol! In South Africa, our government is proudly telling everyone how they've managed to bring crime down. There are now only 51 murders per day. That's a big improvement over last year's average of 64 muders per day!

Personally, I'm all too happy to go live in a city where there's practically no crime.

You did the right thing by walking away from the confrontation, although I wouldn't turn my back on two guys, no matter how skinny. There are so many ways you can be injured.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast