Living outside HK Island - Stigma?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KT as in Kennedy Town or Kowloon Tong?

most locals that live on the island consider the locals living on Kowloon as rough people (no manners etc etc), i have heard this a lot. I have lived most of my life on the kowloon side, did a 3 year stint on island side, hated it. Kowloon/NT rules. Island SUCKS.

This must mean I m one of the rough ones. Woohooo

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    most locals that live on the island consider the locals living on Kowloon as rough people (no manners etc etc), i have heard this a lot. I have lived most of my life on the kowloon side, did a 3 year stint on island side, hated it. Kowloon/NT rules. Island SUCKS.

This must mean I m one of the rough ones. Woohooo
    No, we consider the mainlanders inferior. And they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The BeeDees:
    KT as in Kennedy Town or Kowloon Tong?
    Kennedy Town.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by thursday:
    KT is actually one of the arsiest places I've lived in.
    very well....guess we won't be seeing you around then....good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by thursday:
    No, we consider the mainlanders inferior. And they are.
    That's interesting, because I often think about my impression that locals look down their noses at mainlanders.

However, when I go to CWB on weekends, I see plenty of rich mainlanders spending up big with their thick wads of stregthening Yuan. And they're the ones with all the power - barking orders at local store assistants.

Makes me wonder whether the worm isn't turning, and whether HK might be 'doing a Britain', suffering from delusions of past granduer in a changed world.
    Last edited by gazmario; 26-09-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Gazmario - What I see is a lot of HKers 'rediscovering' their Chinese roots in light of the mainland's newfound economic power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Gazmario - What I see is a lot of HKers 'rediscovering' their Chinese roots in light of the mainland's newfound economic power.
    LOL - yes, I guess I do see that too.

I had the same issue as BeeDees. I only moved here in August but had been looking for a place since January. I work Kowloon side so for me living on the Island would have meant a good 20/30mins extra travelling time.

I also had a friend from England who thought I was odd wanting to live Kowloon side. However lots of big pluses over here so far.

1. Good cheap more local food

2. Transport links still excellent (I live literally on top of Olympic station)

3. Bigger apartment for the same money as HK side, but still very modern building with decent facilities

4. Less tourists

Quote Originally Posted by HKonelegger:
    1. Good cheap more local food

2. Transport links still excellent (I live literally on top of Olympic station)

3. Bigger apartment for the same money as HK side, but still very modern building with decent facilities

4. Less tourists
    5. Fewer snobs