Is HK the most advanced city on Earth?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is HK the most advanced city on Earth?

I have this feeling that Hong Kong might be the most advanced city on Earth in several areas. (not across the board of course) If we had to choose one city as the pinnacle of human creation, it might be HK. The technology, transportation, economy, architecture, standard of living, health, etc. are among the best in the world. There are many other cities which might contend for this title that I have not been to (Tokyo, London, Sydney) Of the cities I have been to, I would say Singapore is the closest contender. NYC, although pretty amazing, as a whole it just doesnt come close.

Well, you really do have to look at the cage hotels, some of the lesser maintained housing estates before getting all teary eyed about HK.

>>standard of living

poor

>>health,

poor

Compared to?

Curious, why would you want to continue living here if its poor?

back to the future

Hi--in the name of advancement, i'd say you have to choose your team and your game before you can say which place is the most advanced. HK has been forced to reckon with huge populations and has a lot of economic power so on that front it has to and has the money to tap into some advanced technologies for living..like great public transport.. but Holland is both slick and liveable, is culturally sophisticated (whatever that means exactly..), and is pretty much leading the way with new urbanism, so my vote goes to Holland, in spite of the cows and paddocks.

not everyone is happy about how HK is coping with development
    though (check out http://www.friendsoftheharbour.org)

but then i get your point about Hk--very fast, intensejust hope it won't need to be replicated the world over!

Is Hong Kong the most advanced place on earth?

Maybe not in terms of human evolution, judging by some of the crowd pictures I've seen in the paper from this year's Sevens....

No, it's not. Great place, but also has many drawbacks. It's pollution is awful (partially due to low emission standards) and it's very crowded; people think nothing of bumping into you or rather touching you on the streets...not much personal space...and therefore illnesses can spread quickly. In terms of food service, I've seen a lot of health worries in restaurants, with servers wiping their noses, coughing near food, no gloves for food preparation (a big concern with cold foods...like sandwiches, etc.), or even placing objects like bandage or cand wrappers, etc., on the plates they will soon after use to serve their customers. So, despite some wonderful things, HK is not on top in some important areas that will affect the health and well-being of many. As for transportation, HK's got some good stuff, but I find Tokyo and some places in Germany to win in that category.

>> Curious, why would you want to continue living here if its poor?

you are asking smokers why they still smoke even smoking is damaging to their health

>> you are asking smokers why they still smoke even smoking is damaging to their health

Darwin's theory of evolution and stupidity.

What's a "cage" hotel?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast