Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

CCTV use?

Closed Thread

CCTV use?

I recently complained about a neighbours incessantly yapping dogs and the smell of 3 dogs and more than 10 cats being kept in less than ideal condition in a 300 square foot flat. As expected nothing can be done about this and the neighbour has since made efforts to increase the nuisance by leaving windows open when out, making the noise disturbance even greater and leaving the faeces for long periods on their balcony, making the smell even worse. The neighbour has now installed a cctv camera aimed directly at my windows. The police told me that because the camera is on private property( the neighbour's ) he has every right to point the camera at my house and film/record. Does anyone have any opinion on the cctv aspect here? The noise/smell nuisance problem I know can never be solved.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi James:
    The neighbour has now installed a cctv camera aimed directly at my windows. The police told me that because the camera is on private property( the neighbour's ) he has every right to point the camera at my house and film/record.
    Seriously, the POLICE told you that. WTF

I would highly recommend you now install BIG FOOK OFF LIGHTS on your wall facing his house directly and leave them on all day/night.

Buy and install one of these facing his house also. Pet Dog Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Stop Deter Nuisance Control - US$25.99
    emx likes this.

I would send the privacy commissioner's office a quick email with the badge number of the police officer.

Their guidance notes can be found here: https://www.pcpd.org.hk/english/file...ractices_e.pdf

An easier to read / understand link: Global Legal Monitor: Hong Kong: Guidance on CCTV Surveillance Published | Global Legal Monitor | Law Library of Congress | Library of Congress

One more link to beef up your knowledge: Family CLIC - DAILY LIVES LEGAL ISSUES - Disputes with neighbours - Common types of nuisance: Animals

It has been held that the test for annoyance is whether it is such that a reasonable person would not tolerate it. In HKSAR v Chan Oi Chun , the court held that a dog barking continually for 30 minutes or more could amount to a nuisance.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I would highly recommend you now install BIG FOOK OFF LIGHTS on your wall facing his house directly and leave them on all day/night.
    Might work in "da villages" ... Not sure it would work where we live. The neighbours would arrive with pitchforks... and many of them are lawyers.

Thanks for the replies. The privacy commissioner's office stated that if the cctv owner posts in public the filmed images of me or my family and then slanders me, I have reason to seek legal recourse. The camera pointed into my home and filming my family in itself is not something I can do anything about.
    The neighbour has shown himself to be fully unwilling to resolve the issue and instead has decided to "put his back up" and prove that he has every right to do as he pleases. The couple, who are not local villagers, live alone in the village house with the rest of the building empty and the landlord living abroad, so I guess he feels like a prince. On my last discussion with him he told me that I was utterly unreasonable to even mention anything that related to him and that he was a victim of harrassment. He told me "You can go and live in Mong Kok or Admiralty if you don't like it. This is a village and I can do whatever I want!" Needless to say I am currently looking for another place to live!

JJ

This is a village and I can do whatever I want!" Needless to say I am currently looking for another place to live!JJ
    Ah so it is a village house just as I expected then the gloves are off. Buy Big FOOK off Lights and point at his house, install Speakers on your roof directed at him as well, remember to turn off speakers at 11pm (wink wink).

I have bought the ultrasonic dog barking gizmo after seeing your thread to test out on a new neighbors 3 dogs, the smallest one barks every friggen minute someone walks past or other dogs bark.
    I will try it out on them before I resort to other tactics Will let you know if its any good.

Could you let me know the name of the village, maybe I can dig out some info.

I have concluded that the best course of action is to move. I have no desire to cause them or their animals any harm. I have no right to prevent him from living as he chooses and the most compassionate thing for us to do now is to find a more congenial place to live.

I have concluded that the best course of action is to move. I have no desire to cause them or their animals any harm. I have no right to prevent him from living as he chooses and the most compassionate thing for us to do now is to find a more congenial place to live.
    Perhaps you could at minimum warn the next tenant of your flat? While running away may be the easiest thing for you, it certainly doesn't solve the problem just moves to someone else.
    jimbo likes this.