Like Tree12Likes

Possible to talk yourself out of driving offence points deduction ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I don't think you can talk yourself out of the points; it's the court you have to talk out of giving you the points.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Do you have another driver in the household? Let them absorb the points.
    Indeed, the police may forget about the driving violations to concentrate on the fraud charges

UK law doesn't apply in HK. Fraud charges may still apply though.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I don't think you can talk yourself out of the points; it's the court you have to talk out of giving you the points.
    Oh well, thanks - try to minimize my driving offence points first.....improve my English skills next
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Do you have another driver in the household? Let them absorb the points.
    Would have been convenient - but no, that´s not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Indeed, the police may forget about the driving violations to concentrate on the fraud charges

Indeed, I forget how vigilant the force is, in Hong Kong when it comes to enforcing traffic related issues.
    cookie09 likes this.

Pepe77

1. Radar detectors work on FIXED speed cameras that are turned, buy a good one and it can help you a lot, dont buy the cheap ones that cost around
    2. Always try to not go over 15Km of a speed limit so no points will be deducted if you get flashed. the speed cameras will give a reduction of 3KM
    3. You will NOT win the court case no matter how good of sweet talker you are
    4. since you got 3 infractions and total 11 points deduction, you should be receiving a letter warning from the HK Transport Department for MANDATORY ATTENDANCE of Driving Improvement, this will help you get 3 points back, this will only happens once in a two year period.

GovHK: Driving Offence Points System

When 8 Points are Incurred

If you have accumulated 8 points or more, but less than 15 points, the Transport Department will issue an Advice of Driving-offence Points to you. This advice details your driving-offence points in respect of the offences committed within 2 years and reminds you of the consequences when some more points are accumulated. The advice aims to alert you to improve your driving behaviour.
    When 10 Points are Incurred

If you have incurred 10 or more points in respect of offences committed within a period of 2 years, you are required by law to attend the Driving Improvement Course. The Transport Department will issue an Obligatory Attendance of Driving Improvement Notice to you. You must attend the course at your own cost within 3 months from the issue date of this notice.
    Cho-man, pepe77 and Claire ex-ax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Pepe77

1. Radar detectors work on FIXED speed cameras that are turned, buy a good one and it can help you a lot, dont buy the cheap ones that cost around
    2. Always try to not go over 15Km of a speed limit so no points will be deducted if you get flashed. the speed cameras will give a reduction of 3KM
    3. You will NOT win the court case no matter how good of sweet talker you are
    4. since you got 3 infractions and total 11 points deduction, you should be receiving a letter warning from the HK Transport Department for MANDATORY ATTENDANCE of Driving Improvement, this will help you get 3 points back, this will only happens once in a two year period.

GovHK: Driving Offence Points System
    Thanks!

Yes, I normally pay a lot of attention not to exceed speed limits by more than 0-15 kh/h - also never before got points for speeding during my 7 years of driving in HK. Unfortunately I missed to notice that this particular stretch was a 50km/h zone - and unfortunately I drove the same stretch 2 days in a row
    Thanks for all input

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by pepe77:
    Unfortunately I missed to notice that this particular stretch was a 50km/h zone
    Maximum speed on all roads is 50 km/h unless 'Speed limit' signs show otherwise.
    Last edited by emx; 27-11-2014 at 05:55 AM.