Like Tree2Likes

Luohu / Lo Wo checkpoint

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Luohu / Lo Wo checkpoint

Hello everybody.

Can you tell me how crowded is the checkpoint on Sunday mornings? I'm going to cross the border from the mainland side at 6:30...7:00 and proceed to HK intl airport via railway. My plane takes off at 11:40. Is it feasible? Maybe I'd better cross the border the day before?

Thanks in advance,
    Stas.

The A43 Airport bus (catch from outside Sheung Shui Station) will get you to the airport than multiple changes on the train. See A43 Airport bus

I guess if you are at the border at 6:30, you should be at the airport by 08:30.

Last edited by drumbrake; 07-12-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

Thank you very much for the advice. Being a resident of Moscow myself, I'm afraid of traffic jams and prefer MTR over buses.

And what about the passport check? The bus stops, and an HK Imm Dept officer comes in to check passengers' passports?

Where exactly are you coming from? An alternative is the direct ferry from Shekou. The 07:45 departure will get you to the airport by 8:15.

TurboJET

If you use Lo Wu, you first go through China emigration, exit China, walk across a bridge, and then enter Hong Kong by going through HK immigration. Then you can directly catch the MTR train. If you catch the bus, it is highway all the way.

1. Go to Lowu (China Immigration)
    2. Walk over to HK Immigration
    3. Buy an Octopus Card (HK$150 at the MTR ticket counter)
    4. Get on the next train, and get off in Sheungshui (1 Stop, 3 Minutes)
    5. Ask for bus A43 (right next to Sheungshui station, NOT the taxi side! - Take care, entry and exit stops are not the same!)
    6. Get off at the airport after about 45-60 Minutes
    7. Buy something with the remaining value on your Octopus, then return the Octopus to the MTR counter to get the remaining value

1-3 together can take 10-15 Minutes outside rush hours.

Note1: in HK you need HK$! If you have RMB you can ask pretty much anybody to change you some.
    Note2: Just in case, the Octopus card can only be used by one person. If you are 2, you need 2 cards.

Last edited by flameproof; 07-12-2014 at 09:16 PM.

flameproof, thank you very much for the detailed answer!
    i'll follow your advice.

I agree with this routing, although there will be a HK$9 cost (refund handling fee of HK$9) when returning the octopus card. Alternatively, keep it until the next visit to Hong Kong. The $30.9 A43 bus exact fare is not easy to pay if you are crossing the border with no HK coins or small notes.

Oh, yes, there is a HK$ 9.00 refund fee if returned within 3 month. But you also save a whopping HK$1.10 on the train fair for that one stop journey since Octopus gives you a discount on train rides (not on the bus).

Really, get that card. It's fully worth the wasted HK$ 7.90 - it can be a big hazzle and time waster to get the money right and you end up overpaying anyway.

One more note on the bus: don't get nervous when you get close to the airport, the bus will go to all of the utility buildings first. And I really mean ALL.

Wait. If you, OP, are old enough, what age 60 or 65, you can really save by getting the Octopus Elder card. Then all MTR rides will be HK$2, and many buses same fare, and half price to airport on A43 bus. They may not even ask your age, if you look 'elderly'.

I don't think quite precisely accurate to say, Octopus can only be used by one person. Yes, on MTR but on big buses or minibuses or at 7/11 or shops, the card can be used by anyone, anytime.

Where are you coming from in Shenzhen? Unless you have a good reason for using Lu Wo, I would cross at Shenzhen Bay Port. I believe there are direct buses from there to HK airport (China-side buses, not HK buses) because they exist in the reverse direction. In any event, a taxi from Shenzhen Bay Port will take approx 35 mins to the airport and cost about 250HKD.

By the way - I just checked - the A43 does NOT go via other buildings before reach the airport. Goes direct to the airport - one stop between Shuen Shui station and airport.

The trip by MTR would be a nightmare. You'd have to change... hmm... A LOT of times. Much longer, much more stressful and probably no seat. Plus it costs buckets more - HKD90 from Kowloon station just for the airport express and I guess about HKD20 to get from Lu Wo to Kowloon....

LMAO - just checked MTR planner - it;s suggesting FOUR changes of train (Kowloon Tong, Prince Edward, Lai King and Tsing Yi) and 84 minutes to get to the airport.... at a cost of HKD60 (since it avoids Kowloon I guess).

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 08-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast