Like Tree59Likes

Pickpocket Warning - Pier 3 Central

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think these incidents require a strong worded letter to the SCMP : Why have the Star Ferry Piers allowed to become a haven for pickpockets and thieves?

Last week a friend had his wallet stolen from his jacket pocket at the always busy/crowded traffic lights at the junction of Russell/Percival Street opposite Times Square.

Said he felt someone bump into him, but that's nothing new in an area which can be wall to wall humanity.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks very much for the warning Fiona! If anything it's good to be reminded of these tactics to keep an eye out.

I imagine they're not long gone, because it's a good place to target. Pretty crowded, good mix of tourists. People are in a rush to catch ferries and might not be thinking straight. I hope the police will be monitoring the area more.

All my bags are pretty easy to open or are open. Not something I'd do in most other cities and definitely not in some countries, but I never thought it a real problem here.
    If I ever see that dude again......it won't be pretty. Clearly targetting the area and I'm sure they still are. My take-away from this is....if someone is acting weird respond with more weird and freak them out! While keeping a hand on your bag of course!
    Cho-man, Elegiaque, jgl and 1 others like this.

I always walk down the left side of escalators, mainly because i'm impatient but could also be used as an avoidance measure.

Sorry to hear this, Fiona, if it gives you any comfort, at least your warning will be useful for everyone else to be on alert.

I agree Hong Kong is generally pretty safe except for pick-pocketing. Its not a new problem, its known to happen around busy areas like Causeway Bay, Mongkok and yes, Central too. It used to be local "professional" thieves who carry out these acts, but nowadays chances are it is mainland-based gangs who do most of these deeds. Some may target those who think they are "easy" prey (i.e. single tourists, foreigners etc).

Still, if this is any reassurance, in terms of pick-pocketing frequency, I think Hong Kong is still quite a bit lower than other popular tourist spots like Rome, Paris or Barcelona.

Last edited by Cho-man; 23-12-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I've begun to look at everyone with suspicion: I-know-you're-up-to-something-and-I'm-watching-you glare.

I don't understand people who choose to be cut off from their surroundings by wearing headphones and/or having their eyes glued to their phones.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    editing ....

And what about it?

I've begun to look at everyone with suspicion: I-know-you're-up-to-something-and-I'm-watching-you glare.

I don't understand people who choose to be cut off from their surroundings by wearing headphones and/or having their eyes glued to their phones.
    Totally agree Claire, and I usually am. Last night I was thinking about a difficult work issue as I walked to the ferry...lesson learned!
    Cho-man and Claire ex-ax like this.

would reporting the incident to the police result in increasing police patrol in the area?

I agree as well, they would be easy prey. People locked into their own worlds oblivious to their surroundings.

Still, looking at everyone else with suspicion does seem a tad... on the paranoid side? Maybe better just to look at people with suspicion who deserves it (i.e. shady appearance, shifty eyes etc)?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 23-12-2014 at 10:59 AM.