Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl

Repairing Nikon D90 kit lens

Closed Thread

Repairing Nikon D90 kit lens

Our Nikon D90 kit lens seems to be broken. We had installed a plain filter to protect the lens, but someone has screwed on the lens cover wrongly on the filter and it has got jammed. There seems to be some noise of broken glass from inside. We don't know if it is just the filter or the lens which is broken. Any advice as to where to take it for opening and repairs? Thanks!

Have you tried using a filter wrench to remove the filter?

If the lens really is broken, it probably isn't worth the money to repair. Kit lenses can be purchased very cheap on Ebay and photography forums, just a quick search and I found that same lens for around $800. Your best bet would be to take this opportunity to upgrade to a better quality faster lens and just toss the kit lens.

The Hi Speed Electrical guy who should be searchable on here also does lens repair. He'll give you an estimate before doing any work on it.

imparanoic likes this.

Thanks for both your ideas. I managed to open up the filter. It is the filter that had been shattered and the lens itself seems to be okay, although it needs a good professional cleaning to figure our if there are scratches that might render it unusable. Shall I just take it to one of the camera retailers and ask them to check it out? (I am new to photography, so would appreciate any guidance).

Most camera retailers will probably just point you to the official Nikon repair centre.

I can't see why a smashed filter should result in glass inside the len. Just blow some compressed air at it. If there are scratches on the front element, you can see them by taking the lens off the mount and looking through it, towards a light source. Look through both ends of the lens.

If the zoom and filter mechanisms work okay, I wouldn't bother taking it anywhere.

I've smashed the front of my lens which had a UV filter installed. The filter glass shattered and the filter ring dented to such an extent I could not remove it from the lens. Carefully picked out all the glass shards and continued shooting with it. So it may not be a lost cause - mind you my lens was an expensive L lens from Canon. But if I were in your shoes, I'd just chuck the kit lens and buy something faster and better quality.

Kit lens, as mentioned by the other posters, not really worth the expense to have it repaired. It might be cheaper to buy another kit lens (if you insist) second hand from others who have moved onto better lenses than having it repaired. Personally, I'd look at what you are really interested in taking pictures of, and head in that direction of a better suited lens.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I have managed to unscrew the filter and the lens cover. It is just the filter that is broken. The lens seems to be intact. We are not sure about scratches on it. We will try to clean it and see.

Thanks for all your feedback.