Like Tree75Likes

Engagement ring questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Yes, I hope it's trustworthy because it's NASDAQ listed. And any diamond sold without the GIA might as well be made of glass.

Lot cheaper than any of the Chows. For HK$70k, 1.01 carat, VS1, E, Excellent cut inc 18k white gold ring.

Setting in HK, doable but a PITA plus additional risk that the stone you gave them is not the stone you get back (only half serious on this point), plus Blue Nile will give you good value rings in 18k white gold - quite frankly the girls will notice the stone more than the ring but suggest the 4 prong cathedral type.

Can't help with the split - I paid upfront on the visa but good idea to tell your card issuer you are going to make the purchase first.

Good luck!! Welcome to the suckers club!

Last edited by ray98; 17-02-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:

Setting in HK, doable but a PITA plus additional risk that the stone you gave them is not the stone you get back
    GIA certified diamonds have a laser engraved serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    GIA certified diamonds have a laser engraved serial number.
    Oh FFS chill..I said I was half kidding and good luck with verifying the stone once its been set. I did it by asking a jeweller friend for a 10x loupe and looking at the imperfections which serve as a visual fingerprint against the GIA.
    Last edited by ray98; 17-02-2015 at 06:01 PM.

They will set the diamond in a way the part of the girdle where the serial number is engraved will be visible. If the serial number is hidden then the jeweller has something to hide. The major imperfections are mentioned in the GIA report.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 17-02-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfread:
    Greetings.

Just wanna ask few question regard about diamonds/ engagement ring.

Lots of people recommended "Blue Nile"
    -Is it trustworthy?
    -Does it comes along with GIA Certificate?

Getting the rings from other countries other in Hong Kong
    -Is it cheaper in this way?

Get the diamond (like from Blue Nile maybe) and fix it with in ring in Hong Kong.
    -Better?

-Does Hong Kong local jewellery store able to do installment plan on credit card like 6-12 months?

Well, my budget is of kind low (hopefully less than 70k) but the woman next to me is pretty demanding XD.
    wanted everything to be excellent. lol.

Awaiting for good suggestion/answers.
    My favorite topic!

BlueNile is trustworthy - yes, your stone can be GIA certified. They do have lesser stones that are not.

BlueNile will not sell you a stone without setting it.

PM me with questions if u choose the BlueNile route. I have made many purchases from them before I moved to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MPLee:
    Many HKers use Blue Nile but more will go to Chow Tai Fook or one of the other reputable jewelers. You said the woman is demanding. Are you sure you are doing the right thing? Resolve that before you consider place of purchase etc.
    When I was engaged two years ago, went to Chow Tai Fook to look at some engagement rings...there's something very unromantic about haggling for your engagement ring. My experiences with places like Chow Tai Fook were not pleasant. I would avoid them if possible.

Also, I was looking at a ring and my husband made the mistake of giving them his phone number...they kept calling him to "follow up". Very annoying.
    TheBrit and Skyhook like this.

Yes, I hope it's trustworthy because it's NASDAQ listed. And any diamond sold without the GIA might as well be made of glass.

Lot cheaper than any of the Chows. For HK$70k, 1.01 carat, VS1, E, Excellent cut inc 18k white gold ring.

Setting in HK, doable but a PITA plus additional risk that the stone you gave them is not the stone you get back (only half serious on this point), plus Blue Nile will give you good value rings in 18k white gold - quite frankly the girls will notice the stone more than the ring but suggest the 4 prong cathedral type.

Can't help with the split - I paid upfront on the visa but good idea to tell your card issuer you are going to make the purchase first.

Good luck!! Welcome to the suckers club!
    Unless they changed their policy, as of two years ago, bluenile will not sell you a stone without setting it. I called and inquired about that when I was looking for rings.

If she is already nagging you as your gf wait until you are married and it will really start

Can't help on the ring, bought mine in Amsterdam.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingaling:
    Unless they changed their policy, as of two years ago, bluenile will not sell you a stone without setting it. I called and inquired about that when I was looking for rings.
    May be true - I'll happily admit that women knows more about purified pieces of carbon rock that cost a man's monthly salary and exist for solely for peer show-off factors

May be true - I'll happily admit that women knows more about purified pieces of carbon rock that cost a man's monthly salary and exist for solely for peer show-off factors
    dont know where u are from but in the U.S. the standard is 3 months salary

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast