Like Tree73Likes

Expensive City?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Just because CitySuper caters to people who want and can buy a Japanese apple for $200 does not mean the average price of an apple is $50.... The methodology in this report seems skewed and doesn't really tell us much...

Our food bill has gone up dramatically in the past four and half years we have lived here, and apart from there is just the two of us, plus one greedy cat, we do not live an extravagant life. Both of us pack a homemade lunch, but we refuse to live on instant noodles and other processed junk ( ketchup excepted) . The cost of fresh fruit, veg, yogurt, bread, not to mention a decent cut of steak or chicken for my husband, is horrendous, given the quality is poor / not fresh/ sinewy meat cuts. Mtr travel.....adds up so fast, and it isn't cheap. Luckily, our rent is good for the village house we live in, but travel in HK is not cheap like it used to be.

Skyhook, Skierx, TheBrit and 5 others like this.

tabletop

I don't mind the costs of food here but the rent scares me and I think about leaving Hong Kong every time my rent rises. It becomes harder and harder to justify the amount of money I have to pay for a very small apartment with closet size rooms.

bookblogger, Mrs. Jones and Stu79 like this.

Natfixit

Where are you getting your fruit and veg and meat from?

Supermarket or wet market?

If former then that answers everything,

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Natfixit

Where are you getting your fruit and veg and meat from?

Supermarket or wet market?

If former then that answers everything,
    Both, but more from the former than the latter. We just do not live near a wet market, Mui Wo is the closest and it is not exactly cheaper than the supermarkets. I buy the cat dry food and litter from the cheapest place I know, and that is out in Sham Shui Po.

I think there is a wet market in Tai O, is that not nearer?

TB

Which wet market do you go to?
    I go to shamshuipo and Meifoo. Prices aren't bad over here

I go to the big Tai Po wet market which is very good. It has two stalls which sell organic veg, and even that is too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I think there is a wet market in Tai O, is that not nearer?
    Only for seafood and other dried products. Yes. Tai O has been explored for an option but unfortunately had become unfathomly touristy and not so local. Best bet I saw recently was a rice drying bamboo reed dish laid out with honesty box, filled with bananas ( price written on each) . This reminded me of childhood days of travelling out west to visit rellies in the country. You see produce laid out fresh by the road and honesty box next to. It was cheap, you saw what you bought and no complaints. My grandparents would travel mpst weekends up to visit rellies and come back with boxes of fresh veg, fruit and meat in the polystyrene boxes. Loved it. I love Tai O, but tend to only go there these days for hiking and the " famous Tai O donut.". Yum yum
    bookblogger and Bob Loblaw like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast