Like Tree33Likes

Taxi drivers might start refusing HKD 500 bills

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Taxi drivers might start refusing HKD 500 bills

Good grief, I hope this isn't true. While I very rarely have to resort to using a $500 bill in a taxi, not having the option to do so (especially on longer journeys) would be annoying.

Taxi drivers may stop taking HK$500 notes as fakes multiply

Use Uber, CC FTW. I can't even remember when I paid cash for something the last time.

jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Use Uber, CC FTW. I can't even remember when I paid cash for something the last time.
    If you can ever get one. I've given up using Uber Taxi during anything like peak hours, and am not prepared to pay the high prices that Uber black cars charge.

One cheat I have found recently is Uber Van - they have seats in them same as any van and are priced around the same as a standard cab. Have used them as a cheeky cab ride occasionally, even if the drivers were a bit confused!
    shri likes this.

I was under the impression they already refused to take 500 notes. I've had mine refused before and apparently it's legally allowed. F'ing dumb imho...

Cho-man and kpelszyn like this.

I always thought that they can refuse to accept 500 notes, if I remember, I had read it on that yellow instruction stick ons on passenger door too.
    Anyway, I always ask, them if I don't have change, whether it will be okay if I paid with 500 dollar note at the end of journey. Never had a problem.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I was under the impression they already refused to take 500 notes. I've had mine refused before and apparently it's legally allowed. F'ing dumb imho...
    Well not so dumb if you consider the practicalities of it - otherwise taxis would need to carry large amounts of hundred dollar bills and it would be a mugger's paradise/ATM

HK isn't the only place that refused big bills. New York cabs refused big dollar bills as well. And probably other places too. A big pain for the customer but I can understand why they do it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Well... it's not so much legally allowed; it's not an offence for a driver to refuse to accept a $500 or $1,000 note. They are required to have $90 in notes of a denomination of $10 or in coins of a denomination of $2 or more; and $10 in coins of a denomination of $1 or less.

Came across a driver who didn't have any change, just a few coins (end of shift), and was apologising (yeah I know!) to passengers he couldn't take them unless they had the exact fare. And this is when my practice of always having ample notes/coins finally came into its own, as I left other passengers in my dust. Bwahahahahahaha!
    gunsnroses, ray98, lingc and 2 others like this.

Long since past the time for using cash in the taxi anyway.

See the drivers are asking for another increase in flag fall and rates. Perhaps no more increases until they adopt a payment system which is a little more modern.

HK_Katherine, TheBrit and cookie09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    Long since past the time for using cash in the taxi anyway.

See the drivers are asking for another increase in flag fall and rates. Perhaps no more increases until they adopt a payment system which is a little more modern.
    I'd agree with this 100%. Even the rust buckets they call taxis in Shanghai have cashless payment systems (and have done for years). HK taxis should at least have a credit card payment option, if not Octopus.
    Ern likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast