Like Tree10Likes

Cycling - Tai Po to Tai Wai, or vice versa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenChan:
    That is a good ride but a few words of caution : the descent speed can get a bit too fast for inexperienced riders and then Sha Tau Kok Road has quite a few trucks and coaches speeding along.
    There are also those speedsters on weekends who blast through Tai Mei Tuk to Luk Keng as well. Cyclists need to keep an eye out for them, as it does make that road potentially dangerous, especially for newbie cyclists.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 17-04-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenChan:
    That is a good ride but a few words of caution : the descent speed can get a bit too fast for inexperienced riders and then Sha Tau Kok Road has quite a few trucks and coaches speeding along.
    the worst aspect is that these trucks and coaches are from mainland, dodgy or dangerous driving, also the people carriers with china plates are even worse

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    There are also those speedsters on weekends who blast through Tai Mei Tuk to Luk Keng as well. Cyclists need to keep an eye out for them, as it does make that road potentially dangerous, especially for newbie cyclists.
    these so called boy racers or self claimed god of driving (mostly from watching too much initial d) is the main cause of the relatively high fatality statistics considering the very low number of vehicles and remoteness of this road

when I used to live in sha tau kok, on average 2-3 deaths per year for this stretch of road, Bride's Pool/ 新娘潭
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    these so called boy racers or self claimed god of driving (mostly from watching too much initial d) is the main cause of the relatively high fatality statistics considering the very low number of vehicles and remoteness of this road

when I used to live in sha tau kok, on average 2-3 deaths per year for this stretch of road, Bride's Pool/ 新娘潭
    Yeah, which is why I would be hesitant to bike on that stretch of road unless you a experienced pro that knows where all the blind corners and dangerous spots are. If I'm not mistaken, there was a cyclist who was killed there due to being hit by those speed demons not too long ago.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 17-04-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Yeah, which is why I would be hesitant to bike on that stretch of road unless you a experienced pro that knows where all the blind corners and dangerous spots are. If I'm not mistaken, there was a cyclist who was killed there due to being hit by those speed demons not too long ago.
    well, the lack of police presence or camera is one aspect, speed bumps would be excellent addition, considering some of the tightest corners with no barrier for the starling inlet
    tight corners adds to the thrill for these idiot drivers

For fun cycling stick only to cycle paths. Cycling on the roads here is scary.

Thanks for all the info and tips. Looks like the weather is going to be a bit wet this weekend, so we'll have to postpone to another day.