I DO NOT understand phones in this place!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Unfortunately, the UEMO doesn't apply to live calls, so there's no easy way to stop those at the moment.
    So I saw - pretty silly really since it would be no harder for them to implement the register for them too. I made a comment to this effect in my complaint in the "anything else" box at the end....

Unfortunately it's not that simple. It is pretty well impossible to define unsolicited live calls in a way that would make a significant difference. Regrettably, I am fairly convinced that some unscrupulous companies are using the "Do Not Call" lists as pre-validated lists of real phone numbers - I know that the number of live marketing calls that I get has gone up significantly since I registered.

Well, then I shall console myself with the fact that I can at least be rude to live callers (swearing at a machines just is not the same!). Any choice cantonese phrases I should learn?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I assume that anyone ringing me wishes to speak to ME, .
    Apparently some red-dot asshole thinks it is unreasonable that I should expect someone ringing my personal mobile number to be interested in speaking to me..... Says more about them, I think - guess they do not believe in person - to - person communication (otherwise why put up an anonymous comment?)

If you are so interested in communicating in chinese, you anonymous asshole, get off this expat forum and go form your own local one where you can all whinge about us expats in canto.

For live callers, you may wish to tell them, in English, that you are not interested and not to call you. I do the same in Mandarin (haven't tried in English; Mandarin's still my default response when I hear Cantonese...) and they generally understand. Between that and registering with the no-call list, I haven't received many spam calls.

If only I could get my mobile service provider to stop calling whenever I have "unusual data usage" -- especially after they've already sent me a message. aie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai38:
    For live callers, you may wish to tell them, in English, that you are not interested and not to call you. I do the same in Mandarin (haven't tried in English; Mandarin's still my default response when I hear Cantonese...) and they generally understand. Between that and registering with the no-call list, I haven't received many spam calls.
    Correct, things really do get better if you join the non-call lists and advise live callers that you are not interested. Even just hanging up immediately helps, as they (not surprisingly) seem to track the "success rate" of their calls. These days (and after the above) I hardly get any spam calls at all.

Apparently some red-dot asshole thinks it is unreasonable that I should expect someone ringing my personal mobile number to be interested in speaking to me..... Says more about them, I think - guess they do not believe in person - to - person communication (otherwise why put up an anonymous comment?)

If you are so interested in communicating in chinese, you anonymous asshole, get off this expat forum and go form your own local one where you can all whinge about us expats in canto.
    A pre-recorded message similar that would probably strike fear in the heart of any spam caller

And to the second (I assume second, since I cannot red-dot the same person twice so I assume others cannot either) person who gave me a red dot with this comment for the post:

Do you really have to be so rude to those who speak Chinese?

If you read my post carefully, you would note that the rudeness was not directed at Chinese speakers in general but at the specific and anonymous red blobber who thinks that it's ok to ring up people in the name of marketing without making any attempt to identify whether or not they can understand th e marketing message!

Get rid of the whole red and green dot system I reckon. It only serves to puff up egos or start flame wars. We'd be better off without it.

And to the second (I assume second, since I cannot red-dot the same person twice so I assume others cannot either) person who gave me a red dot with this comment for the post:

Do you really have to be so rude to those who speak Chinese?

If you read my post carefully, you would note that the rudeness was not directed at Chinese speakers in general but at the specific and anonymous red blobber who thinks that it's ok to ring up people in the name of marketing without making any attempt to identify whether or not they can understand th e marketing message!
    Those calls are specifically annoying - and expensive - when you are on roaming. I joined the OFTA list a few months ago and still get those calls as well as the pre-recorded messages at times.
    Fully understand your rant, got 2 marketing calls over the weekend while in Hangzhou and on roaming.
    Last edited by elle; 30-09-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't received spam call when i'm in Hong Kong but i do received a lot when i'm out of Hong Kong and that really piss me off