Typhoon Higos

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've managed to get Mrs PDLM to use her real name (or its normal contracted form) in HK, but in the Philippines there are at least 4 other names that different groups of people call her by (plus all the relationship names - ate and so on). It gets highly confusing.
    OK. You are clearly in an expert position to answer this. WHY do they all have different names? I am working on a Philippine project, and all the email addresses are proper names yet all the names in meetings are different names and I cannot for the life of me work out who (ie mental picture of person) who is sending me emails.....

I'm afraid I have no idea why. And Mrs PDLM doesn't really know either - it's just the way it is.

It's quite unusual though for nicknames totally unrelated to the real name to be used in business though - pretty much all the Filipinos I have done business with (in big corporations) use the same name (or something which is a contraction of it) in emails, meetings and so on.

Yes - it's ok when they sign the email "regards, Fred" etc. but when I just get one without that it's hard! And I'm dealing with about 20 people on the team... not great with names and faces at the best of times!

Mrs. Sylvester informs me its a tribal name. Her sister has her given name as well as her grandmothers tribal name. And just to confuse things more, her sisters emails all use their mothers maiden name. I tease her that the "family" name she gives me, different from that of her unmarried sisters, must really be the name of her slacker husband in the Philippines that she sends remittances to

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Hey you too eh! What's with that? And what's with the "Sir"? Like calling a colleague in the office "Sir Fred' or whatever. I never know quite where to look - if you did that in an Aussie context you would be taking the pi$$ but I don't think that's the case here.....
    No not taking the piss, just politeness and respect for the aged, Moving

Its a problem when you have kids because as the given name is rarely used it doesn't matter how weird it is. I had fun explaining that the latest girl was not going to be called Zephaniah because her life would be a misery if we ever moved to the UK because there we have the quaint custom of actually using people's names.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No not taking the piss, just politeness and respect for the aged, Moving
    Although many of these do not appear to be that old...

I had guessed (after a while) that they were not taking the piss - still feels very odd tho.

Wishful think I guess - if it arrives about 6am Monday morning then we all get a 4 day weekend.

Wishful think I guess - if it arrives about 6am Monday morning then we all get a 4 day weekend.
    I'm crossing my fingers...

very wishfull, if it does follow that rather odd path predicted, then my money would be on a sunday hit, ruining the day, cancelling our football match and all clear for work on Monday morning...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast