Like Tree8Likes

is AirBnB legal in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

is AirBnB legal in Hong Kong

I have stayed in a few airbnb apartments and really enjoyed the experience. Wondering if its legal to rent apartments like that in Hong Kong?

Depends on whether the owners have bothered to get a license. I would guess most have not. A bit more information in this thread here (towards the end).

https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...d317917-2.html

I don't think it's illegal, but maybe not entirely legal either. I guess most AirBnB places are not registered under the Office of the Licensing Authority, and probably in many apartment complexes subletting on a daily basis is not strictly allowed, especially when it is the whole flat rather than just individual rooms.

When I look at the prices for AirBnB I don't find them that attractive. Besides the room rate, there are cleaning and service costs, and then you have to arrange a time to meet the owner, and you might have to leave early in the day when you check out. So, unless there is a substantial saving, I might prefer to pay for a normal hotel, or look for a more established B&B with regular check in times.

Someone in/near Sai Kung is advertising in the Sai Kung magazine to rent out a room for $850/night, 2 week minimum. Think that's legal?

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by jobin
    Someone in/near Sai Kung is advertising in the Sai Kung magazine to rent out a room for $850/night, 2 week minimum. Think that's legal?
    If the place is a registered guesthouse, then its legal. If its not, then 4 weeks or longer is legal (considered like a rental agreement) but anything less than 4 weeks is illegal.

bdw

Whether Airbnb is legal in HK or not, it doesn't stop the banks from running their typical promotions. From Standard Chartered Hong Kong website:

From 2 March 2015 to 31 May 2015, you can enjoy 15% off on booking with Airbnb with your Standard Chartered Credit Card. Book now and explore interesting accommodations all over the world!
    https://www.sc.com/hk/promotion/credit-cards/airbnb/

It's not legal. Most of the airbnb hosts email you after the reservation is made to say "if anyone asks, tell them you're my friend." yeah as bdw mentioned, under 4 weeks is illegal. many hosts are now trying to cover themselves by getting the guest to sign a pseudo-lease which technically leases you the place for a whole month at a nominal amount, but you're agreeing to only stay there for the dates you bought on airbnb. Not a lawyer myself, but I don't see how this would hold up in a court of law. Including an actual agreement below a host asks guests to sign in hk.

Then you would need to stamp the lease for it to be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by booth
    Then you would need to stamp the lease for it to be legal?
    I guess the stamp would give it more teeth, but it's still an attempt to circumvent the law. I'm surprised real estate agent societies and hotel societies aren't making a bigger fuss about this...i'm thinking airbnb must take so much business away from traditional businesses dependent on lodgings.

I didn't think airbnb had much success in HK. Just didn't seem widely accepted by both parties compared to the states for example.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast