Like Tree6Likes

Debate: Taxi Costs, Walking, Poor Planning and more...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'll stick with the opinions of the experts.
    You mean experts from a country where two-thirds of the population is overweight or obese and one third is actually obese and the healthcare costs exceed that of smoking and alcohol related health costs combined.

Somewhere like that and I can understand an infantile cajoling approach to encourage a first step to health is better than nothing. I guess if they said that everyone needs a disciplined exercise routine, people would be less inclined to start the first step and prefer to eat and be inactive and die instead.

To clarify again: I am not saying that because I frequently take taxis and use the gym that I eschew walking - that is a false dichotomy.

I am only saying that I am willing to pay for this privilege of taxiing (over the MTR), and that my willingness to pay is measured against certain criteria.

I enjoy walking a lot - under certain circumstances. When I'm in a suit and tie, I only enjoy walking in climate controlled environments (inside buildings), elevated walkways (with cool breezes), etc. Being outside in HK during 25+ celcius weather in a suit and tie is quite tiring.

When I'm not dressed in a suit and tie, I tend to walk a lot. This debate really is a quality of life issue for me - paying for the right to allocate my walking time under different conditions (ie: suit and tie vs t-shirt and sweats).

Edit: I never said that walking is a waste of time - I just saw that someone somehow assume that from what I previous wrote; to clarify, I like walking.

Last edited by Viktri; 08-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

It seems the thread has has changed course and it seems to be a debate between regular poster.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    You mean experts from a country where two-thirds of the population is overweight or obese and one third is actually obese and the healthcare costs exceed that of smoking and alcohol related health costs combined.
    man, you don't know the half of it.we went out for lunch the day after i got back to the states last summer. i remember just looking around the restaurant and being astonished at how enormous hte other customers were.
    and the car's a big part of that - though the private car, not the taxi. people do so little walking period at any point in their lives, vicious cycle sets in, etc.
    hard to live like that in HK even if you do spend 4k/month on taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

And THIS thread got off topic!
    Yup - sorry it was probably my post about taxi spending that was (at least partially) to blame - my bad

Moved a few posts out of the 90K planning thread ( https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...ead316729.html )

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    being astonished at how enormous hte other customers were.
    and the car's a big part of that - though the private car, not the taxi. people do so little walking period at any point in their lives, vicious cycle sets in, etc.

In his book Notes from a Big Country Bill Bryson describes moving back to the United States.

In a friendly way, he invited his next-door neighbours round for drinks.

They drove from their house to his.

Bryson made a joke about it, and ruined his relations with them.
    HK_Katherine and bookblogger like this.

I just figured out how to get from Tungchung to Wanchai for under 34
    Roundtrip with a little walking involved.
    The MTR morning discount helps, but I think you then dont get the 10% discount for 2nd trip.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    man, you don't know the half of it.we went out for lunch the day after i got back to the states last summer. i remember just looking around the restaurant and being astonished at how enormous hte other customers were.
    hard to live like that in HK even if you do spend 4k/month on taxis.
    I remember my first trip to the US- went shopping out in the burbs and was really impressed with the massive warehouse sized stores crammed full of goods. And finding it really difficult to get to neighboring stores as a pedestrian because the design the area was made with the assumption that people would just drive next door.