New policy on entry of dependants

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I suspect something is afoot in Immigration office

on or around march 2003, there was a change in the PR / right of abode process.
    The earlier two step process ( undoncitional Stay + Right of abode) was replaced by a single "unified" application.
    Subsequently applicants were notified that due toa court judgement, the immigration office requires to verify that pplicants "intention" to make his/her permanent place of residence is bonafide.
    However, you cannot contact Immigration to find out the status of this subjective verification.

Aplications put in , in Feb, were replied to in Mar , asking whether the applicant wanted to continue with Unconditional Stay or wanted to convert to a "right of abode " application.

Applications put in, around March, were all put into the new "single step" process.
    I havent heard of a single succesful right of abode applicant with application put in , in March or afterwards.
    If anybody has indeed received the right of abode after putting in the appl in March 2003, ( or heard of somebody) , positive confirmation would be helpful

As a reference, the timeframes prior to Feb/March was roughtly as follows
    Unconditionl stay - 6-8 weeks from date of app
    RightofAbode 4-6 weeks from date of app following succesful Unconditional stay approval

hi

No probs, just trying to help.

Last edited by nickwillsher; 14-07-2003 at 08:24 PM.

shanx is right.
    You can directly apply for PR .. no need to apply for Unconditional stay anymore.
    This follows the case of Prem Singh v/s Immigration http://www.emigra.com.hk/case.html

FYI, an application for UCS made in Dec '02 is converted to that of PR, and is currently being processed. Delay is attributed to changes in law arising from the case ruling in Feb '03.

Nick,

I think Vivek has done a better job putting your link up. I'm trying hard to discourage people from doing hit-and-run promotions of their site. Feel free to add to the discussion and point to your site if its appropriate...

Shri

...... another twister....

... what happens if a dependant visa holder (no siblings) has parents TOTALLY DEPENDANT on him/her..... is there any other option besides 15 day entry stamp..... and then picnic lunches to wanchai........ for extension of their visitor visa

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

wanderer
    (same alias used to wander in and out of old 'NND' thread on unmentionable other site)

The thoughts that come to mind:

- apply for visitor visa in advance for 3 months or may even be more (there is a procedure that can be initiated from here instead of from overseas if more convenient)

- get dependent's sponsor to sponsor dependent's parents; not sure if rules allow it but "definately" (sic) worth checking 'em out.

hkfella..... are u another avatar of a previously known handle ????

.... no luck with your definately worth looking into option..... in laws definately cannot be sponsored.....

.... do i hear gleefull " YAYYYY " by some.......

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

...at least not a handle with the same alias. What about you, wanderer.

BTW, thanks for checking out the other thing - for a while I was "definately' (sic, again) a tad worried! .

wanders in..........

wanders out.........

kinda answers your question............ eh hkfella.....

....... how long does it take for the visit visa processing if one applies here in hkg..... have recieved varying answers.....