Like Tree34Likes

Drunk expat rescued from the Peak.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    They normally just put it down as training and don't charge.
    Could he then invoice them as a training provider rather than a drunk dick?
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't understand why he needed a helicopter rescue? If he walked up, can't he walk down? Granted it might not be fun, but why waste resources/time like that? If he was too hung over to walk down ... well then, again, just let him suffer. I seriously doubt he was likely to die from any injury...
    I believe that the vast majority of helicopter rescues in HK are not necessary.

I have seen helicopter rescues that could have easily been accomplished by a land team, i.e. in country parks on established trails. In one case a 60 minute hike from a road. In another case, I witnessed two independent rescue teams turn up by land (fire services and ambulance?), then sit around by picnic tables with the victim (who was sitting around comfortably and we had a nice chat with him) and wait for a chopper to come in. This was on a paved road in a country park.

I strongly suspect that the rescue services have a big fat budget to burn through, or their KPIs are really weirdly set (and don't factor in efficiency of spending).
    Last edited by jgl; 11-05-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    Elegiaque and drumbrake like this.

I heard that chopper overhead and wondered what was going on!

we are very critical, arnt we?

Living on Lamma island, we spoke to a couple who have had 2 kids since living there. Both times upon going into labour, the mum was helicoptered to the hospital with her husband.

Apparently the second time, the husband made sure he didn't make the same regrettable mistake twice.

He brought his camera this time!

HA, thats awesome. Might have to make a trip to Lamma then about 6 months from now, free chopper ride honey, hold on.

wtbhotia likes this.

If I remember, back In Canada, when those skiers and snowboarders intentionally go to off-limits area to ski or snowboard (and hence risking an avalanche or falling off a precipice to their deaths), they will be billed the rescue cost if they endangered themselves and require a rescue. Regardless of whether a helicopter is involved or not. The principle is that if you intentionally go and risk your life despite ample warnings not to do so, you bear the responsibility of paying the service agency who rescued you.

Last edited by Cho-man; 11-05-2015 at 12:42 PM.

The cost of rescue here is free to the person being rescued. The Fire Brigade coordinate all rescues and make the decision about whether a helicopter is required or not and the cost comes from their budget, and ultimately, you, the taxpayer pays.

the cost comes from their budget, and ultimately, you, the taxpayer pays
    The sheer entertainment value of a rescue such as this one, is worth a lot more than say for example ... an additional few inches on the Zhuhai bridge-to-no-where...
    Fiona in HKG and wtbhotia like this.

Alright alright.... Shit happens ok!
    One sometimes gets drunk and does things one doesn't really remember or can't be arsed to remember.
    But yeah chopper ride, that sounds cool!