HK the good ol' days

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by frogman:
    a visit to Chungking Mansions will attest...
    Hahaha, so with you on that one frogman. That place has a real rep as a death-trap. It looks bad enough from the outside for any sane person to say 'no thanks', but once inside it's even worse.
    Doogle, man you're really taking some nasty risks getting the barber treatment. There are two styles though you could have chosen between, 'bald back and sides', or 'giant comb-over with bit sticking up at back of head and blowing in the wind' look.

Hey Frogman,
    Great history summary - A friend of mine was telling me about the history of the Lion Rock Shanty town.

Regarding the "bar fees and bats" - it was a way for the bar owners to recoup money to pay the triads their protection money. Unsuspecting patrons go to bars and have a good time, only to get an astronomical bill and find no way out at the end of the night. A bat-wielding bartender at the front was evidence of this. I don't know much more - I've read two accounts, including a letter to the SCMP from a family friend of mine who was in the Police during that time - so I mentioned it in passing. I can try to find out more if you like, or we can just drop that from among my examples.

Apparently the triads had communist ties. I suppose it was a destabilisation strategy, if one believes this.

And Baron,
    Let it go about the barber and old haircuts.. It's ridiculous and frankly, getting a bit old.

doogle...lighten up and stop acting like a Canadian!

Baron,
    please try sticking to the forum topic.
    This forum isn't about you, or me or ridiculousness.

But I for one am willing to indulge with humour, if you can offer up any. Any.

In case you had forgotten, it was you who started this whole barber topic? So sorry for keeping it light doogle!

Baron, if you insist, I will indulge your comments and do something different:
    continue to provide a comment with content.

I did some research, which consists of "asking my friends".
    It's called "Shanghainese style" haircut. It's a very precise cut, often using the razor. You certainly get your money's worth.

For your benefit I've dug up a before and after photo from my blog:

Before:
    http://www.dougbastien.com/about/blo...0/IMG_0846.jpg

After:
    http://www.dougbastien.com/about/blo...0/IMG_0032.jpg

More in my blog entry of Thursday, July 08, 2004:
    http://www.dougbastien.com/about/blo...4_archive.html

It contrasts with the Mong Kok haircut - where they wash your hair three times before your cut and again after.

So, to relate this to the topic,

I guess a good way to experience the good ol' days, like they did in the good ol' days, is to go for a Shanghai-style haircut.
    You can even get it done on the street, (like in Wong Tai Sin) like in the good ol' days.
    and perhaps get yourself a smart-looking haircut,
    like in the good ol' days.

Or you can go to Mong Kok and get a more modern haircut complete with a modern price. You can go to @Hair on the corner of Sai Yeung Choi and Argyle, sit at the glass window overlooking the busy corner and reflect on yesteryear while planning your tomorrow.

touchy guy aint ya...but not a bad haircut!

hey doogle... that's an interesting blog there, never thought i'd be reading someone elses.

and

nice face too, doogle

Very Euro!