Like Tree138Likes

Damn Naked Tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:

Btw, the big bang theory was developed by a Catholic priest, his religious background did not impact his scientific judgment.
    That's great. I love that show
    greenmark likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    That's why there are so many sects so many divisions in Christianity. People pick and choose their myths. At least 60 percent of all Americans don't believe in such myths.

Original Post Deleted

Then explain why some great scientists are also Christians.
    Back in the old days ( in the west ) the Church would have been the popular social vehicle of choice. So, in simple terms it would have been the place to network ( before/after Sunday Mass ) out of, especially as a scientist, who usually rely on the public purse to pursue their research.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 10-06-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Such myths evolve into cultural traditions like celebrating Christmas or grave sweeping day.

whatever myth or believe or religion, but i like to call it custom. if you want to enjoy and being welcomed as a human being, respect the custom. if not, don't go there, it's that simple i believe.
    custom in my house, you must take off your shoes before come in. do it, or do not come to my house.
    custom in your house, every guest must wear bikini to get in. i will not go there, but may be i will be walking around just enjoy the view lol

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    whatever myth or believe or religion, but i like to call it custom. if you want to enjoy and being welcomed as a human being, respect the custom. if not, don't go there, it's that simple i believe.
    custom in my house, you must take off your shoes before come in. do it, or do not come to my house.
    custom in your house, every guest must wear bikini to get in. i will not go there, but may be i will be walking around just enjoy the view lol
    Be careful what you wish for. In my daily life perhaps 1% of the people I see around me would look good in anything skimpy and the numbers drop further if I include Americans LOL. Quote Seinfeld: there is good naked and there is bad naked
    Andy SNK likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    - I'm not religious by any means. However, I do think religion can also provide some basis for ethics, social conduct etc.

Take away the myths and many religions provide a good set of behavioural guidelines.

A lot of Hinduism revolves around doing good, respecting elders... dig deeper and you find a fair bit of practical stuff hidden in the myths (Randomly - Monday / Thursday are supposed to be fasting / no-meat days).

Religious systems also offer home, a sense of community and unity.

Needless to say, many practitioners have fucked things up beyond description. I recently heard from someone that the core belief system of a radical Hindu charity out there prevents them from educating Muslim kids ... they believe "The only good muslim is a dead muslim". Yet in a completely screwed up way, they don't have a problem if a Muslim doctor comes in and helps in one of their medical camps.

Having said that, one does not need religion to bring totally screwed outcomes into our lives. Just being human is enough to screw things over.

Not need to make atheism a religion...
    HK_Katherine and Elegiaque like this.

Then explain why some great scientists are also Christians.
    Ability to act in a socially accepted manner in order to keep funding/grants/friends etc while doing good work. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @TigerSun - I'm not religious by any means. However, I do think religion can also provide some basis for ethics, social conduct etc.

Take away the myths and many religions provide a good set of behavioural guidelines.

A lot of Hinduism revolves around doing good, respecting elders... dig deeper and you find a fair bit of practical stuff hidden in the myths (Randomly - Monday / Thursday are supposed to be fasting / no-meat days).

Religious systems also offer home, a sense of community and unity.

Needless to say, many practitioners have fucked things up beyond description. I recently heard from someone that the core belief system of a radical Hindu charity out there prevents them from educating Muslim kids ... they believe "The only good muslim is a dead muslim". Yet in a completely screwed up way, they don't have a problem if a Muslim doctor comes in and helps in one of their medical camps.

Having said that, one does not need religion to bring totally screwed outcomes into our lives. Just being human is enough to screw things over.

Not need to make atheism a religion...
    I come out pretty much here too. Don't believe but can see that having a social structure based on something many believe in can be useful when not overcooked.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast