Skilled Cobbler Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skilled Cobbler Recommendations

Hi there,

Looking for skilled cobbler recommendations. I have some quite difficult/extensive alterations I need done to some expensive leather sandals I have.

Not sure I am confident in just handing them over to any ol' street vendor.

Central region is preferable, but I can pretty much go anywhere (Island or Kowloon). English speaking would help my cause I think.

Many thanks!

(ps. while we're at it, I need some rather basic clothing alterations - same region - any suggestions? English speaking would be good too.)

For basic clothes alterations (shortening sleeves, hemlines, trousers, simple repairs etc) then there are a few very cheap places in Worldwide House run by Filipinas which I have found to be fine on the occasions I have used them.

I just had a pair of shoes made at Vickies - its on Li Yuen St East on the left as you walk down it from queens road central. (about half way down). They are good quality and exactly as I asked them to be made. I don;t know if they do alterations but the owner's english is good and he might be able to recommend somewhere else if he cant help.

Clothes - I've had alterations doen in World Wide House in Central on level 2 Peak Tailor (get off escalator and its straight ahead and )on the right - very good and english ok but not the cheapest. For cheaper I regularlu get clothes made and altered at a material shop in Li Yuen St West - its called Fu Lee but there are 2 of them in the Lane. If you walk down from Queens Road Central is on the right and its the last material shop on the right. Ask for Teddy, Wayne or Carol - all English is good - they will call the tailor for you (based somewhere in Sheung Wan), who doesn;t speak English, and will translate. Quality is always good.

Thank you! Will check out Vickies in the coming days..

Okay, checked out Vickies this evening and the guy there wouldn't work on my shoes on account that they were male. (Mind you, these are strappy patent leather sandals - about as femme as it gets).

He suggested I try a cobbler in some mall (which I have written somwhere) in TST. Sounded a little vague..

I then tried a few random cobblers and the only one that actually seemed interested in attempting the alterations was the cobbler in central station. However, he wanted 10 days and $700 for his services..

Where else can I look? I think these alterations might be beyond the capabilities of your standard cobbler - perhaps I should be looking at shoe tailors? Are there any reasonably priced ones about HK?

And recommendations are appreciated!

Cheers.

please update this thread if you find somewhere good.
    have a leather man bag i got in malaysia with a broken strap connection.

I really want to start using it again but the shoe repair and tailor i have taken it to cant seem to help me . doesnt look that tricky

Still havent found anywhere. Please chime in if you can recommend!

Mayer's in the Mandarin Oriental sounds like the best bet for seldom and AndyFitz. Wide range of leather goods (made-to-measure shoes for men and women, bags, wallets, etc.) and clearly more upmarket than the guys in the lanes, but considerably cheaper than some of the higher-end tailor-made shoe places.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    Mayer's in the Mandarin Oriental sounds like the best bet for seldom and AndyFitz. Wide range of leather goods (made-to-measure shoes for men and women, bags, wallets, etc.) and clearly more upmarket than the guys in the lanes, but considerably cheaper than some of the higher-end tailor-made shoe places.

That sounds perfect, beachball. Thanks for the input!

Will let you guys know how I get on.

So I don't quite understand if they do repairs or just sell leather goods but there's only one way to find out .
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast