Like Tree46Likes

Helper MIA all night

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I can't see anything wrong with expecting a phone call. Just saying.

Employer asked helper to call if arriving after 10:30PM. Seems reasonable to me. I would be worried too if I had no idea if helper is coming back or not. If you really want to be pedantic 24 hrs means when she finishes on Saturday night the clock starts ticking.

wtbhotia and Enderman like this.

Common guys, let's take things in perspective here. Most of us here agree that FDH have rights (and in my opinion deserve better rights even) and must be treated with at least the same respect as u would like to be treated.
    Having said that, I do believe an agreement on what time is appropriate to come home is in order when the care of small children is involved.
    reason why, you want to be sure that the person in charge is well rested and can give the best care for your child. I mean, I would also demand the nanny of the daycare to be well rested to leave my child there safely.
    I must say, having a helper who would immediately state that she has 24 hour leave, doesn't give me a lot of confidence. She is right and has this right. But personally I would like to have a helper who would show more responsibility to my family. I also reward such responsibility accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    It's a 24-hour day off. Phone calls are not required on her part.
    Yes it's 24 hours off but I'm pretty sure it's illegal (or at best a grey area) if she doesn't return home (hence the contract term live-in helper).

I guess more important is her overall work performance. Is it negatively affected by this behaviour?
    wtbhotia likes this.

like people said above it's 24 hours, maybe it's not cool on her part she didn't let you know. She probably got smashed on Sunday in wc and found a guy to spend the night with, it's probably why she didn't give any news. I would let this one go and tell her to not do it again as you were worried about her. If she keeps messing then get rid of her. It's sad to see people need to be reminded it's 24 hours, not 12 like most people do. It's probably the first time she slept somewhere else than her workplace ffs.

It's 24 hours off at any hours agreed between employer and helper. That may be between 8pm on a Sat and 8pm on a Sun. Quite a few employers give from Sat afternoon / evening until Monday morning. When there are kids involved and child care is the primary duty then it's reasonable to ask for notice if someone isn't going to come back. I'm all for helpers rights but this is a situation created by a lack of child care options in HK and it doesn't help when some tools come out with the "slave" mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Why do you think you have the right to give her a curfew?
    Its not a curfew, its common courtesy expected from those that live under one roof.

If I'm out for the evening and I'll be much later than 12/1 - the wife expects a phone call. She doesnt want me to be home, just 15 sec conversation that says "I'm getting drunk, wont be home before 5, good night....hic"
    I expect the same out of my wife and the kids.

Our helper is no different. Let us know where you will be and/or what time we should expect you to be home. If you are missing till 7am when you were supposed to be home by night time, something is seriously wrong.

I would expect a phone call/text from any member of the family (adult/child) who decides to spend the night elsewhere. It's just common courtesy.

If you were calling/texting her and she didn't respond all night, then I agree she did cross a line. If you were just waiting for her to call, you could say it might have been a miscommunication. Maybe she thought the curfew only related to normal nights not public holidays.

I agree however that I would expect a helper with responsibility for children on a Monday morning to have slept in the house the night before, to be sure that she was rested. If my spouse or a relative was out all night I wouldn't want them making breakfast for the kids the next morning either.

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/...seGuide/04.pdf

i understand the 24hrs. That's why