HK or Singapore, Family of 5 from Japan

HK or Singapore, Family of 5 from Japan

Hi,

A friend of mine who has beeen working in Japan for 8 years is not considering moving to Japan and Singapore and have got offfers from both locations.

He asked me but I need you help to figure this out, a little background.
    Originally from Qatar. 3 children. PArents in mid 30s. Night life/clubbing etc etc is not important. Social life in general, and any entertainment for kids is imporant. Furthermore, children education, and good social mix (foreigners) is a factor too. Quality of life can be another thing.

can you guys please help me on which of HK or Singapore would be better in that respect. He would be lookign to live atleast 4-5 years in this location. They are veryfamily/kids oriented. Thanks a lot!

If he's happy with "hot & sticky" all the time (i.e. no real seasons) then I'd say Singapore. It's more cosmopolitan, has better English language education (or at least cheaper for the same quality), and decent sized housing is less outrageously expensive. And there's much less air pollution.

For Hong Kong, you have a better environment in terms of countryside, hiking, hills etc, but not much else amongst the qualities you list.

Singapore also makes it much easier to get permanent residence and even citizenship if that would be of interest. (Although dual citizenship is not allowed and there is compulsory national service.)

not sure, but how would the pollution levels of sg compare to hk? i'm guessing it would be much better there, but i could be wrong...

Singapore. Much more middle eastern friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by keep thinking:
    Hi,

A friend of mine who has beeen working in Japan for 8 years is not considering moving to Japan and Singapore and have got offfers from both locations.

He asked me but I need you help to figure this out, a little background.
    Originally from Qatar. 3 children. PArents in mid 30s. Night life/clubbing etc etc is not important. Social life in general, and any entertainment for kids is imporant. Furthermore, children education, and good social mix (foreigners) is a factor too. Quality of life can be another thing.

can you guys please help me on which of HK or Singapore would be better in that respect. He would be lookign to live atleast 4-5 years in this location. They are veryfamily/kids oriented. Thanks a lot!
    I am a Singaporean moving to HK. If your friend is basing his decision mainly on family, then I would suggest Singapore.

- Singapore is more racially diversified than HK, with 70% Chinese, 13% Malay, 11% Indian and 6% Others. There are more options for Muslims in terms of food and grocery.
    - Good size of expat community, comparable to HK.
    - Language: You can get around with English in both countries.
    - Infrastructure wise, I would say both Singapore and HK are comparable, although driving is probably cheaper in Singapore
    - Healthcare: excellent and afforable public and private health care
    - Education: excellent public and private schools, although privately run international schools can be expensive and have long waiting lists. I imagine this is the same in HK.
    - Safety: HK is a very safe place but Singapore is the so safe it is almost dull.
    - Cleaner air
    - Yes, easier to get Permanent Residency in Singapore as PDLM suggested. But if you were to become a PR, you don't have to serve national service (army), your children might have to if they choose to become Singaporeans.

Hope this helps.

Singapore also has the advantage, for a middle eastern family, of being right next to (connected to) Malaysia which is a muslim country and therefore a good place to visit/holiday etc for someone from the middle east. Singapore itself however, it has to be said, reminds me of what a country would be if designed by Disney ... it's just too frigging perfect to want to live there!

thanks a lot people!
    yeah beign closer to muslim community or culture would be better I guess. I dont think they would have much problem with the weather (i am not sure as Tokyo does have superb 4 seasons)

I would really welcome more comments and that would help me give a more detailed feedback...

thanks!