Like Tree41Likes

Heating in Winter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heating in Winter

Thinking ahead: can you just heat your apartment using a standalone indoor dehumifier in winter (i.e. run the dehumidifier; get the humidity levels down; and let the dehumidifier warm air do the rest?)

Thanks

You're thinking about heating right now?!? The heat must have gone to your head

To answer your question, probably not. Solely using dehumidifiers is not going to cut it when it gets down to the coldest levels. Building design here means if it's 10 degrees outside it's also 10 degrees inside! That's colder than the inside of my house ever was in the UK. Seriously, everyone's comfort levels are different and buildings are made to different standards but in general you will probably want to invest in some portable heaters. You might also want to check your air conditioners. Some of the newer ones have heating functions as well.

Cho-man likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We haven't had a (portable) heater in the bedroom/living room for many years. Extra jumper, extra pair of socks, good duvet...

However, I do have a small bathroom heater, which is my all mine because someone thinks it's a waste of money but doesn't 'object' to it being on when he's taking a shower.

we never bothered with heaters in the past until our kid arrived so we have 1 oil heater takes a long time to heat a 100sqft room, 1 normal heater when bathing the kid in the toilet, while at it I got a small heater to use while I fart around on the PC, placed it under the computer table so it can warm up my crown jewels

A few years ago when we renovated, we installed air conditioners with built in heating (hard to find.. but they're around!), as I just did not want heaters lying around.

Don't think we've ever turned them on except may be for a day or two to try them out after they were installed.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    we never bothered with heaters in the past until our kid arrived so we have 1 oil heater takes a long time to heat a 100sqft room, 1 normal heater when bathing the kid in the toilet, while at it I got a small heater to use while I fart around on the PC, placed it under the computer table so it can warm up my crown jewels
    You bathe your child in the toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You bathe your child in the toilet?
    Opps, Toilet / Bathroom same same la.

Well now that she can run around, she does like to put her hand down the toilet and splashing the water when we are not looking
    Dankleness likes this.

lounge/bedroom, oil radiator, less likely to make the room too dry and arid ( hk winters are very dry due to the wind from the north )

bedroom, now have kids, we have installed a bathroom heater now

we used this german heller brand, instant heat and I installed to the wall, very good and quick, also seems safe to use in bathroom

HELLER QS-180 - 暖風機 & 電暖爐 - 空氣處理 - 家居 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

Last edited by imparanoic; 09-07-2015 at 11:13 AM.

We don't have a heater for a 350 sq/ft flat, but I have tried this dehumidifier trick... I can't say it warms up the place, but perhaps it's making it more comfortable. We do have an electric mattress cover to heat up the bed, and otherwise we just manage. We once borrowed a small heater for our foster kittens, but I just can't be bothered to take up the storage space (which we don't have!) all year long.

I find the biggest problem is offices, because they leave some sort of ventilation fan going, so there's always a breeze but no heat, and you're stuck sitting still and working all day without getting your blood flowing... brr!

Why on earth aren't the dual heater/ACs more common in HK?! I've always found this baffling, as it would be better use of space than these stupid portable heaters.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Well now that she can run around, she does like to put her hand down the toilet and splashing the water when we are not looking
    Keep the seat down!
    Claire ex-ax and dossier like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast