Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MMDL

Leaving HK

Closed Thread

Leaving HK

I am a HK PR - acquired the status after 7 years. Been nearly 10 years now and have decided to move back home. However, my wife is not a HK PR and is currently on a dependent visa. If we leave, what is the protocol for my wife's visa?

Do I need to notify HK immigration that she is leaving HK permanently and thus needs to surrend the HK ID card and terminate the visa? Also, will doing so in any way jeopardize my HK PR status since immigration may now question my permanent residence status.

Morrison likes this.

How long has your wife been in HK for legally? Can she get PR yet?

My guess is that she can keep her ID card forever, regardless if it is attached with a visa or not, as the ID card doesn't entitle you the right to enter or claim residency. It's merely for identity purposes.

I would think she can just keep her current visa and let it expire at the end of the term, I don't imagine you need to do anything to notify anyone. As long as she doesn't leave for more than 6 months, she can keep the clock rolling for PR if that is coming soon.

Also, the technical rule is that you need to return to HK once every 3 years to retain PR. There are some people who argue you can't lose PR and can re-activate it, but I have no idea who has done that or how it worked out for them.