Like Tree67Likes

Is Hong Kong's water safe to drink?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Sadly, Kai Ching estate was awarded the "quality water supply" mark & look how that worked out? Not sure those awards are worth the paper they are printed on?

GeoTommy, East_coast and shri like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Also drank tap water for years, though we do have a water filter attached. I think I'm going to use the lead in the water as an excuse as to why I'm a lot heavier now than when I first landed on these shores.
    East_coast, TheBrit, shri and 2 others like this.

As the public housing blocks are the stronghold of the DAB there is one theory going around town that the lead poisoning is deliberate as the side effects are

- Reduced capability for critical thought
    - Memory loss
    - Irritability or crankiness

Our local caped crusader Paul Zimmerman sent this out last night:

Concerns over drinking water 食水安全問題

Recent news over contaminated drinking water have given cause for some people to worry. We contacted the larger private housing estates in Pokfulam and found that they are planning tests. We spoke to laboratories and they advised that the demand is overwhelming and waiting time can vary.

最近食水安全為熱門話題,的確引起 少居民擔心住所的食水有否受污染。 們得知薄扶林數個大型屋苑有計劃就 水質進行測試。有化驗所告訴我們積 的訂單數目非常多,輪候時間每日都 改變。

private housing too.

Bonaqua Bottled water.....23 HKD for a big bottle, delivered to your door and its ice cold or piping hot.

One of the best deals in an otherwise expensive city.

I have under the counter 3M filters installed which seems to take all the taste at least out of it (Whampoa). My in laws dont and boil their water (Royal Peninsula). Can totally tell the difference.

So what is this 'taste' that seems to exist in most of hk's water supply?

Doesn't the fact that hong kong water often has a metallic taste, concern folks here?

When I drink water from the tap in Paris and Melbourne it is like a Wow! experience, as to how refreshing it is.

We get our water in sai kung from the high island reservoir, I think, a marked improvement in water quality compared to when we lived in town. We still filter it via a 6 stage process, but have been known to drink out of the tap where we live now.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-07-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Open Casket likes this.

And they found the plumber behind it all ..

More details of the contamination were revealed yesterday by Lam Tak-sum, the licensed plumber whom the government named as responsible for pipe works at Kai Ching Estate, Kwai Luen Estate in Kwai Chung and Shui Chuen O Estate in Sha Tin, where excessive levels of lead were found in tap water.

Giving a public account of his role on a radio show, he said the soldering materials used at the estates were purchased by engineering firm Ho Biu Kee, the sub-contractor which hired him, and were then approved by the Housing Department.

"The process was something I could not supervise," he said.

He further revealed that the company had used "almost the same materials" as those in the three estates on various other projects in recent years, including St Paul's Hospital in Causeway Bay, more than 10 public housing estates and some private housing blocks.
    Plumber at centre of Hong Kong water scandal reveals more possible lead contamination sites | South China Morning Post

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast