NT or HK Island? Where to live...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NT or HK Island? Where to live...

I'm trying to find the right place to live and thought I would ask everyone for some advice. Here is my situation:

1. Work in Sha Tin and want easy fairly quick commute. I don't plan on getting a car, but that is flexible.
    2. Budget $20K-$25K.
    3. Have family (5 yr old and 15 month) - 5 yr old will be in school (would like ESF school).
    4. Wife will not work, so want to be close to lots of day-time activities (classes, parks, etc.)
    5. Want to be in area with a good mix of locals and westerners (My wife is Mexican).
    6. If not on the island, want to be in area where we can get to island quickly.

Thoughts? I'm looking for the work/lesiure/life/family balance in terms of places to live....

New Territories/Kowloon area. Since your work is there, and I'm sure there are schools and recreational activities in Kowloon. You still have fairly quick access to the island for those sightseeing and shopping visits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx:
    New Territories/Kowloon area. Since your work is there, and I'm sure there are schools and recreational activities in Kowloon. You still have fairly quick access to the island for those sightseeing and shopping visits, etc.
    Fewer people speak English in those parts, assuming your not able to speak guangdonghua and the rent is a little cheaper. If your living near TST, take the Star Fairy for crossing over, it's way cheaper then MTR/Bus and on a clear day, you'll have a lovely view.

If you want easy acess to Shatin and HK Island, you should consider Kowloon since its in the middle. There's an expat "enclave" above the Kowloon station, but it is quite an isolated area). A better location for your communte may be Kowloon Tong.

KLT is an upscale area closed to the KCR station. There's also a MTR station that will take you to HK Island.

School info:
    http://www.delia.edu.hk/dsc.html

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Checkout Wu Kai Sha, with the new Ma On Shan Line, Central is 40 minutes away.

http://www.kcrc.com/eng/services/services/mos_index.asp

Thanks! I just looked at places in Kowloon Tong. Not too bad. Given my situation...is there any reason why I should live on HK Island? I'm a little torn...but it seems that KLT is a good central location.

You should consider Hung Hom or even Shatin. There are loads of Expats living in the area. You should get more value for your money in these areas.

There are many Mexicans and Mexican Americans living in Hung Hom and also in Tsimshatsui.

Good Luck !

Really? Mexicans living in Hung Hom? That would make my wife happy...would love to network? Any way to get in touch would be appreciated...

In Hung Hom, may be you mistake the Indians (asian) for Mexicans

Kowloon Tong would be a great place to live. Some of the best schools in HK are there and you also have Festival Walk on your doorstep.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast