Like Tree39Likes

Scam calls

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Scam calls

I recall a thread a few months back in which the OP's partner had gotten a call and then went to a bogus Chinese government website and found she was on the 'wanted' list.

Bogus scam calls has been around a while in HK, but it's lately become very common, I recall the local news reporting it about a week ago.

I've personally received 2 bogus calls, both slightly different. I guess this is not going to affect expats much as the calls are either in Cantonese or Mandarin. The first was in Mandarin, actually spoken by a person informing me that I was somewhere on one of the bogus websites. The second was a Cantonese recorded message pretending to be SF Express saying this was the last chance to receive a missed package, and I had to go to a website to claim it.

As reported the scammers use an app which fakes their caller ID so even calls from the Mainland look like local calls. But they do make stupid mistakes (or the app isn't working perfectly) as one of the calls came up: (+23) 25 xxxx.

dossier and wtbhotia like this.

I get calls with unknown numbers / private numbers and after saying Hello once with no response, i start breathing heavily into the phone like a mass murder and they usually put the phone down, they are NO fun at all, they dont even bother grunting back at me FFS.

Im still waiting for the Chinese Govt or SF express to have fun with.

Do you guys use the HK junk call app? Seems to feel out every nuisance call for me.

i only get junk calls when I am overseas and it costs money to answer the phone.... if someone speaks to me in chinese I just hang up since they clearly don't know me!

When I get them, I say 'wai'...then I put the phone on speaker and lay it on the table while they chat....after a few minutes the penny drops...

Did all sorts of things whenever these idiots called, including "Wei and put the phone aside till they realise", but got bored and now HK junk calls app does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I get calls with unknown numbers / private numbers and after saying Hello once with no response, i start breathing heavily into the phone like a mass murder and they usually put the phone down, they are NO fun at all, they dont even bother grunting back at me FFS.

Im still waiting for the Chinese Govt or SF express to have fun with.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my bank account, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you hang up this call right now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
    wtbhotia, HK_Katherine and Cho-man like this.

I didnt get any scam calls but getting a crazy amount of cold calls from mobile phone companies, investment advice to facials (wtf!). I get about 2-3 calls a day even on the weekends. Seriously considering getting a new number!

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I didnt get any scam calls but getting a crazy amount of cold calls from mobile phone companies, investment advice to facials (wtf!). I get about 2-3 calls a day even on the weekends. Seriously considering getting a new number!
    Install a call filter, easy peasy.

SKCallFilter on Android gets at least 9 out of 10 junk calls.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uma.callfilter

wtbhotia, shri and Cwbguy like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast