Disputing fine for dropping cigarette butt

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Disputing fine for dropping cigarette butt

Hi,

I was booked for dropping a cigarette butt while buying things in a street market.

Is there anyway I can dispute the fine given that there aren't any dustbins around which is why I didnt bother to pick it up.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Pay the fine and move on.

Why should you get off? Other people, like myself, don't enjoy having ciggy butts on the bottom of our shoes!

lament

hope you never feel the urge to spit, given the shortage of spittoons

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

In the bad old days when I smoked, I once sat down to enjoy a ciggie in Statue Square and was promptly booked for butt dropping. A court date at the other end of HK was set one month hence. The amazing part about was that the court was packed with non chinese; aside from the odd mainlander or senile local everyone was foreign.

There was a Philipina who had dropped an asprin, which her friend had handed her, and she had placed on the ground while searching for her water flask. The kindly magistrate listened to her unusual tale with interest, and charged her the then $600 fine.

Aside from the occassional leniency for the unemployed or old person who paid $300, everyone else paid up. I think the takings for the sessions would have been 50-60K. Not back for an hour and a half and this was just one of a dozen or more courts in action day in day out.

On top of that you waste a whole afternoon traipsing to strange corners of town.

My advice is to practice your "Guilty Me Lud" and have a cheque ready.

Quote Originally Posted by pisceanblues:
    Hi,

I was booked for dropping a cigarette butt while buying things in a street market.

Is there anyway I can dispute the fine given that there aren't any dustbins around which is why I didnt bother to pick it up.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Laughs,

Sorry but i think it serves you right. ^^
    Dropping litter is a bad habit. Hope you've learnt your lesson.
    The anti-littering policy is highly enforced. Plus there are litter bins every 30 paces. If you don't see one, then hold on to it or stop smoking.

About 10-12 million people live in HK (inc tourists, expats, PRC's and aliens or hippies) and they don't complain, why should you? Just settle it and be done with the fine. Take it as a lesson learnt. Please. Keep Hong Kong clean and tidy. Personally they should rise the fine to $2000, round numbers are pleasing me thinks.

Oh, You can get fines for J-walking too, about 600-1000$. Especially if your crossing and the lights are Red. What you think those clicking sounds are for? Pedestrian being fined is less heartache than causing a traffic accident. You seen PRC's drive right? Thought I'd warn you.

Hmm... I'm just waiting for one of you lot, drop your wallets in one of those stinky public toilets... muhahahhaha
    Last edited by lazarus; 11-04-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus:
    Over 12 million people live in HK
    Er, I don't think so. Try a fraction under 7 million. http://www.info.gov.hk/hkfacts/popula.pdf

Wink 12 or 7 or

7 million in fact.. ah but the effective impact in terms of interference, noise and so on could indeed be closer to 12 million, and individual moments might see that number soar to over 2 billion

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sooos:
    ... and individual moments might see that number soar to over 2 billion
    ???

Your posting is becoming very cryptic sooos!

magic

yes, oh dear, a lapse into magical realism

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast